Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 15.4 - "massive" battery drain

Hi,

with the update to iOS 15.4 I experience a "massive" battery drain on my iPhone 8.

That means the battery of my iPhone 8 is empty within a few hours.

With iOS 15.4 I have to recharge my iPhone at least three times a day.

Are there any solutions yet how to tackle this battery drain issue which evolved with iOS 15.4?

Thank you.

iPhone 8

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 3:38 PM

18 replies

Mar 20, 2022 1:54 PM in response to Alancito

Hi,

I still use the original battery in my iPhone 8.

I did not have this issue before iOS 15.4.

I experience this massive battery drain issue with all the iPhone in my household since I upgraded to iOS 15.4 without any exception.

Just as a remark for replacing batteries in iOS-products or MBP due to my experiences in the last years. Before I replace a battery in an iOS-, iPadOS-product or MPB in the future I will buy a new product because the replacement is just some kind of workaround but not the solution. This might only be my experience.

Thank you.

Mar 20, 2022 2:43 PM in response to lowlevelmission

lowlevelmission wrote: "I still use the original battery in my iPhone 8.
I did not have this issue before iOS 15.4..."

In these communities we see many cases where, for a weak, original battery, the long process of applying an iOS update can be the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back." We ask what the maximum capacity % is in order to eliminate that particular possibility.

õ¿õ¬

Mar 28, 2022 11:01 AM in response to lowlevelmission

Similar problem with 15.4 on iPhone 8: phone shuts down when battery level reaches 30%-35%. Battery Health shows 94% max capacity and no notice about "unexpected shutdown because the battery was unable to deliver the necessary peak power" or "Your battery’s health is significantly degraded." No apps with runaway battery usage. Tried quitting all apps and forced shutdown/restart with no effect.

Mar 28, 2022 11:12 AM in response to lowlevelmission

An iPhone battery is expected to need replacement after 1.5 to 2 years. If you plan to keep the phone longer than that it pays to replace the battery. $49 at an Apple store, usually while you wait. An MBP is a different story, but I am about to replace the battery in my 2014 MBP with a battery kit from OWC. I also have a 2020 MBP, but the old computer still has plenty of life left. Oddly, the 2011 MBA battery is still fine.

Apr 3, 2022 8:08 AM in response to Papoon

Papoon wrote:

Similar problem with 15.4 on iPhone 8: phone shuts down when battery level reaches 30%-35%. Battery Health shows 94% max capacity and no notice about "unexpected shutdown because the battery was unable to deliver the necessary peak power" or "Your battery’s health is significantly degraded." No apps with runaway battery usage. Tried quitting all apps and forced shutdown/restart with no effect.

Same behavior with 15.4.1

Apr 3, 2022 8:16 AM in response to Papoon

Papoon wrote:

Papoon wrote:

Same behavior with 15.4.1

Different problem, nothing to do with iOS. Your battery is failing and needs to be replaced. $49 at an Apple store, usually while you wait.

Apr 4, 2022 1:36 PM in response to lowlevelmission

The worst thing is that the 15.4 update seems to infect the overall battery health also. I saw a comment where a user said the battery health on his phone had dropped by 4% just from the 15.4 version alone. Then I checked what mine was at and was surprised to see it was down to be 92% - When I checked 3-4 month ago it was still at 100% max capacity and I never seen it below 100 untill now. I checked my moms 12 pro that she bought used november last year, it was at 98% when she got it and after this 15.4 update it is now down to 94%.

It is one thing to drain faster between charges, but to actually drain on the battery health like that is not good :(

iOS 15.4 - "massive" battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.