Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey Crashes in Sleep - Apple keyboard/trackpad is culprit

I have a Mac mini that after upgrading to Monterey from Big Sur, began crashing whenever it was put in sleep mode (running V 12.2.1 on Mac mini 2018 3Ghz 5-Core Intel i5).

I finally discovered this weekend that leaving either or both the Apple keyboard or Apple Trackpad on during sleep will cause the crash. Turning both on and it is fine.

For the past six months I've been leaving the Mac running and not putting to sleep. Now at least I can put it to sleep and shut off the peripheral devices.

I'm interested if others have experienced similar issue, and if so, were you able to resolve?

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 3:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 4:12 PM

So I replaced the Apple keyboard and trackpad with Logitech keyboard and mouse combination... connected to a receiver plugged into USB port... then turned bluetooth off on the mini. After three days of keeping the Mac asleep during the nights and when not in use during the daytime, there have been no crashes. Before swapping the Apple peripherals, it would always crash within 1-2 hours.

I'm pretty sure I could leave bluetooth on and not experience the problem... but since I don't have any other peripherals using it, I just decided to keep it off for now.

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this fix... been fighting the Mac's crash when sleeping problem for over six months.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2022 4:12 PM in response to den.thed

So I replaced the Apple keyboard and trackpad with Logitech keyboard and mouse combination... connected to a receiver plugged into USB port... then turned bluetooth off on the mini. After three days of keeping the Mac asleep during the nights and when not in use during the daytime, there have been no crashes. Before swapping the Apple peripherals, it would always crash within 1-2 hours.

I'm pretty sure I could leave bluetooth on and not experience the problem... but since I don't have any other peripherals using it, I just decided to keep it off for now.

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this fix... been fighting the Mac's crash when sleeping problem for over six months.

Mar 20, 2022 9:07 AM in response to weskat

You maybe on to something there.

My 2018 Mac Mini* has never had the Sleep/Wake/Crashing issue running Mojave, Big Sur or Monterey.

(*20GB of RAM, dual displays, USB 3 hub, multiple external drives, Logitech USB Keyboard and Mouse)

To be honest, I never cared much for flat Apple keyboard or Magic mouse and switched to the USB Logitech combos years ago when my old full size Apple USB keyboard and USB Mighty mouse passed away. Plus I have never had any issues using the USB Logitech combos for startup, troubleshooting or using them everyday with our iMac's or Mac Mini's. In addition, I only occasionally turn Bluetooth on for wireless Headphones and then turn it off afterwards.

Mar 20, 2022 1:24 PM in response to den.thed

den.thed, hey thanks for responding. I think I'll follow your footsteps on this and replace the Apple keyboard & trackpad with a non-Bluetooth product. I've used Logitech's universal receiver devices on Windows PCs, and see they now have a Logi Bolt receiver for Mac style keyboards (MX Keys and MX Keys Mini) that looks like good replacements for OEM.

It'll take me a while to "un-train" myself from the trackpad, which I'm really going to miss, but worth it in the long run to avoid this MacOS issue.

macOS Monterey Crashes in Sleep - Apple keyboard/trackpad is culprit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.