Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.3 doesn't install on an external SSD

I'm on a 2019 16" MBP. I downloaded the App Store Monterey 12.3 installer. I ran it onto a bare 1 TB external SSD. It seemed to load onto the drive correctly, and at the completion the system rebooted. Normally it them proceeds with the installation. Instead, the system booted into the internal drive. The drive appears to have the system on it. I tried booting with the Option key, but it doesn't see the external drive. However, once booted into internal, I can go to Startup Disk, and it sees the external as a startup volume.

I can select it, but when I try to restart I get this error message.

I've tried this a few times on a couple of drives with the same result. This is pretty ridiculous, extremely frustrating, and a complete waste of my time.

If anyone has any idea what the problem might be, or how it can be remedied I'd very much appreciate some help.

Thank you for any assistance.

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 7:31 AM

Judging from Original Post and pic included the computer on which this is being attempted has already been upgraded to Monterey ?

Reason for asking >> There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers. In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ?  

In your case the External Drive, not being an Apple Original Drive would come into play.

The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey. 

Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a  requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2022 7:31 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Judging from Original Post and pic included the computer on which this is being attempted has already been upgraded to Monterey ?

Reason for asking >> There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers. In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ?  

In your case the External Drive, not being an Apple Original Drive would come into play.

The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey. 

Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a  requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

Monterey 12.3 doesn't install on an external SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.