Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BUG IN MAC MAIL: the value of the option "Edit/Attachments/Insert Attachments At End" is ignored

When I start up Mail I go and verify that this option is not checked. I then add an attachment and it is added at the end of my email. However, if I select it (so that it has a check) and then unselect it (so no check is showing), attachments will then be added at the cursor.

Is there a way to have it function properly at startup instead of my having to check/uncheck it each time I start mail?

thanks

w

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 12:54 PM

Booting in safe mode had no effect.

BUT I did discover a solution.

There appears to be some ambiguity in the effect of modifying the "Edit/Attachments/Insert Attachments at End" mode. If the mode is changed WHILE composing a new mail, the change has the effect ONLY during that composition. Once the composition has ended, the mode returns to the 'default'. If the mode is changes NOT during a composition, the mode change persists.

My fix was to stop and restart mail. Then immediately change the 'Edit/Attachments/Insert Attachments at End" to my desired value. Thereafter, the choice applies to all composed messages.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2022 12:54 PM in response to MrHoffman

Booting in safe mode had no effect.

BUT I did discover a solution.

There appears to be some ambiguity in the effect of modifying the "Edit/Attachments/Insert Attachments at End" mode. If the mode is changed WHILE composing a new mail, the change has the effect ONLY during that composition. Once the composition has ended, the mode returns to the 'default'. If the mode is changes NOT during a composition, the mode change persists.

My fix was to stop and restart mail. Then immediately change the 'Edit/Attachments/Insert Attachments at End" to my desired value. Thereafter, the choice applies to all composed messages.

Mar 26, 2022 10:45 AM in response to ward harriman

Boot into Safe Mode, and try the setting again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If there are add-on anti-malware apps, add-on VPN client apps, add-on cleaner apps, or such, remove all of those, restart, and try again.

….But if you think you’ve found a bug, report it here: Product Feedback - Apple

(Apple may or may not see postings and bug reports here.)

BUG IN MAC MAIL: the value of the option "Edit/Attachments/Insert Attachments At End" is ignored

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.