Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I save or upload files, and why can none of the System Preferences options can be selected?

I am having a recurring and frustrating issue with a brand-new MacBook Pro.

When I try to use the browser-based file explorer -- i.e., whenever I want to either upload a file for some reason (e.g., to an email), or whenever I want to save a file -- I am completely unable to interact with the interface in any way. That is, I cannot navigate through the computer's directory structure, I cannot select or even highlight files in the currently-open directory structure, and when saving I cannot even edit the name of the file in the "save as" textbox. There seems to be a similar and simultaneous issue with interacting with the System Preferences UI, where again no clicks or keyboard-based actions seem to be registered.

My problem sounds essentially identical to the one mentioned in this previous thread here, except I'm using Monterey rather than Big Sur. Given that there are already some responses in that other thread, let me just do away with a couple of suggestions for what this issue might be:

• It is *not* simply an issue of trying to explore files in the "compact" mode.
  • It is *not* an issue that is unique to a single browser (I've tried both Chrome and Safari, with an identical issue in both).

Restarting the computer is the only way I've currently found to solve the issue, but that's a totally unsustainable solution; I shouldn't have to restart my whole computer every time I want to download a file from the internet or adjust my system preferences.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 1:49 PM

Hello dpesce,

We would suggest that you try to isolate what is causing the problem by starting the system in safe mode.

Here are the steps from How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support:

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

The computer will take longer to start in safe mode, and the screen may have some distorted video as it starts up. This is normal. Once you are logged in, use the system and test to see if the issue continues.

If everything seems to work as expected, go ahead and restart the computer normally and test again. Starting in safe mode forces the computer to run some disk checks similar to First Aid. This can resolve some issues.

Cheers.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2022 1:49 PM in response to dpesce

Hello dpesce,

We would suggest that you try to isolate what is causing the problem by starting the system in safe mode.

Here are the steps from How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support:

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

The computer will take longer to start in safe mode, and the screen may have some distorted video as it starts up. This is normal. Once you are logged in, use the system and test to see if the issue continues.

If everything seems to work as expected, go ahead and restart the computer normally and test again. Starting in safe mode forces the computer to run some disk checks similar to First Aid. This can resolve some issues.

Cheers.

Why can't I save or upload files, and why can none of the System Preferences options can be selected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.