Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE 2022 3rd Generation Randomly Shuts Down

I’ve had this phone for one week and twice now the phone has just randomly shut down. Battery is fully charged too. Had to restart the phone both times. Anyone else having the same issue with the new 2022 SE iPhone? Has Apple rectified this same issue from the 2020 phone?

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 7:31 PM

I had this exact problem starting one week after getting my 3rd gen SE (second gen never had this problem). After the second shutdown, knowing it wasn't a one off, I called Apple support. I was told, initially, that it was software related, but the tech wanted to run the analytics logs by the engineers just to be sure. Well, a few days later, and I get the call from Apple telling me that they believe it's a hardware issue, and they need to swap out the phone. And, they want me to keep everything on the phone, but removing any personally identifying info. So, if it's hardware related, why do they want all of my apps left on it? Honestly, I don't think anyone at Apple truly knows what's going on, as they have told me that this is absolutely the first they've heard of a SE model having this issue (it's always the first, isn't it?). Now, my advice to anyone experiencing this is to get support to acknowledge the problem (if your analytics logs have a "panic" node in the lines of text, that's it), then get them to agree to a full refund/replacement, Don't let them screw you around; there's something going on with these phones, and the only way to get them working on the issue is to start demanding refunds.

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2022 7:31 PM in response to angiepija

I had this exact problem starting one week after getting my 3rd gen SE (second gen never had this problem). After the second shutdown, knowing it wasn't a one off, I called Apple support. I was told, initially, that it was software related, but the tech wanted to run the analytics logs by the engineers just to be sure. Well, a few days later, and I get the call from Apple telling me that they believe it's a hardware issue, and they need to swap out the phone. And, they want me to keep everything on the phone, but removing any personally identifying info. So, if it's hardware related, why do they want all of my apps left on it? Honestly, I don't think anyone at Apple truly knows what's going on, as they have told me that this is absolutely the first they've heard of a SE model having this issue (it's always the first, isn't it?). Now, my advice to anyone experiencing this is to get support to acknowledge the problem (if your analytics logs have a "panic" node in the lines of text, that's it), then get them to agree to a full refund/replacement, Don't let them screw you around; there's something going on with these phones, and the only way to get them working on the issue is to start demanding refunds.

Apr 27, 2022 12:22 PM in response to angiepija

I will share the pattern when the problem occurred.

• My phone in lock screen
  • I heard notification sound, I turn to look at my phone to see notification but I can't see it because screen does not turn on.
  • I raise my phone up (intend to Raise to wake), screen still does not turn on.
  • I press my finger on home button, I can feel haptic effect, but screen still does not turn on
  • I continue try to press home button, I got haptic effect 2-3 times, until no haptic effect.
  • So I know this problem is occurring again. I just have to wait the phone to startup itself again (I don't have to press/hold lock button to turn on)

I use this iPhone SE 2022 for 1 month now... I found this problem about 5 times by now. Everytime it happen in same above pattern.

May 2, 2022 8:46 AM in response to angiepija

Previously I done each step and problem still persists.

1. 2022-03-30 : Reset all settings by myself
  2. 2022-04-16 : Reset and reinstalling OS by Authorized Apple Services ( She told me to come back if problem still exists )
  3. 2022-04-27 : I came back to Authorized Apple Services but this time staff run diagnostic and he told he found nothing useful and can't do anything for me. And he ask me to take video while problem's occurring.

After above steps then I start to google and I found this forum https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-se-2022-kernel-panic.2340715/ Seem like they facing same issue that we have here.

The forums are talking about "panic-..." in Analytics Data (Settings -> Privacy -> Analytics & Improvements -> Analytics Data). Because of I got this problem a couple time after Reset and reinstalling OS. So I check Analytics Data in my phone but I found there are no data before 2022-04-27. So I guess at 2022-04-27 the day that I bring my phone to get check at Authorized Apple Services their staff also wipe my Analytics Data while they checking my phone. I think you all have to intend to this point. After problem occur, You should find "panic-" in Analytics Data if you found it you should export to somewhere else.

After I know about this I contact to Apple Support via online Chat... The staff can't not help much. He only suggest me to bring phone to Apple Store or Authorized Apple Services for let's them run diagnostic for scan my phone. So I told him, this procedure just done by Authorized Apple Services on 2022-04-27, found nothing and do nothing and ask me for take video (how you can take video of problem that randomly occur 😴). Apple staff in Chat suggest me try to go Apple Store instead maybe I can get different outcome.

Today (2022-05-02) it happen agian. Thank god for this time I just have iPad with me! so I can take a video before the apple logo came up after rebooting. And I find "pinic-" in Analytics Data... Oh I found it !!

Then I decide to go to Apple Store right away. I told my whole story to staff. They get my phone to check for a hour. And they decide to give me new one. Now I using new phone that they gave me.

If this problem is about software bug, I would expect to see more people affected.

But if this problem is a hardware issue, I just have no word for quality control 🤐

I will come back to update status here after 1-2 weeks if I don't found the problem on new phone.

Apr 3, 2022 11:22 AM in response to angiepija

This has happened to me also. Apple replaced my phone and the new one is still doing that. I called support to let them know and they did not have a fix for it other than try resetting the phone and reinstall everything. I did that yesterday and will see if it helps. I’m wondering if the larger battery in it overheats causing it. Hope they come up with a fix for it soon.

Apr 16, 2022 2:06 PM in response to winfredmunson

Wipe out the phone, it's YOUR privacy, not theirs. I don't think it's even legal to demand that. Got my replacement for my phone, all the tests were good, and a total of 6 or 7 resets during 5 days, one minutes away from the replacement, and still insisted on that. It's not acceptable. So far so good with the new unit, tho. At Apple they told me it was "anecdotic". Would like to see how many phones have been returned as of now... 🤔

Apr 27, 2022 6:29 AM in response to angiepija

I bought brand new iPhone SE 2022

First 2 days of my found this symptom 2 times.

Then I do “Reset All Settings” the symptom gone for a week and it happen again. And it gone for a week and it happen again!

So then now I decide to bring iPhone to iCare. Apple staff just reset and reinstall OS for me. She told me if the problem still persists let’s bring phone here again.

2 weeks later, the symptom happen again then I bring my iPhone back to iCare, but this time Apple staff told me that he don’t found any issue from diagnostic he just ask me to go back and wait to take a video of this symptom!!

This is so frustrated !

May 7, 2022 3:31 PM in response to angiepija

I had this happen half a dozen times in 10 days of owning the SE 2022. Returned it but their diagnostic didn’t show anything. It’s not inspiring confidence that at any time my phone could simply be off and I won’t be receiving info. New phone has worked for 6 hours straight at least. I’m concerned there’s a hardware problem across the line but only time will tell because there’s no clear answer from Apple.

I definitely regret buying it.

iPhone SE 2022 3rd Generation Randomly Shuts Down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.