Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2019 Macbook Pro's touchbar has a very annoying and bright flicker

Can't seem to just insert videos, so here's a screenshot of how bright it actually is. I could be wrong, but it tends to be worse when I'm in low/no lighting, but it tends to last a while when it shows up initially.

I've seen some people say that this can be fixed if you pay to get the keyboard replaced or use Apple Care but 1) I am a broke college student and have been taping over the light for months now and don't want to pay that much, and 2) I don't have Apple Care and am out of the warranty period.

Please help, my eyes burn

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 9:30 AM

abpquestions wrote:

Can't seem to just insert videos, so here's a screenshot of how bright it actually is. I could be wrong, but it tends to be worse when I'm in low/no lighting, but it tends to last a while when it shows up initially.

I've seen some people say that this can be fixed if you pay to get the keyboard replaced or use Apple Care but 1) I am a broke college student and have been taping over the light for months now and don't want to pay that much, and 2) I don't have Apple Care and am out of the warranty period.

Shift Command 6 will take an isolate screen shot of the Touchbar...if you need to escalate the issue

Apple Support

Not all Terminal command are universal for Touchbar— however it is safe to use the following:

On the Intel Mac—

Try resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

on the M1 Mac—

Try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

if no resolve it typically indicates a hardware issue:

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

The current stable release of Monterey is macOS 12.3.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/get-macos-updates-mchlpx1065/mac

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2022 9:30 AM in response to abpquestions

abpquestions wrote:

Shift Command 6 will take an isolate screen shot of the Touchbar...if you need to escalate the issue

Apple Support

Not all Terminal command are universal for Touchbar— however it is safe to use the following:

On the Intel Mac—

Try resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

on the M1 Mac—

Try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

if no resolve it typically indicates a hardware issue:

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

The current stable release of Monterey is macOS 12.3.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/get-macos-updates-mchlpx1065/mac

2019 Macbook Pro's touchbar has a very annoying and bright flicker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.