Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to have my old Apple ID updated to be acceded via my new email address

I want to have my old Apple ID updated to be acceded via my new email address, sometimes I try to play music that I bought years ago and it is impossible because my email address is new.

Powerbook

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 9:45 AM

If you have the new email address set up as a separate Apple ID, you can't use that email address with the old ID. You need to change the email address on the new ID to free up the address so you can use it with the old ID. Apple hasn’t published any guidance for using an address again. Normally, if your e-mail address was associated with an ID in any way, then it can't be reused as an  Apple ID email address for approximately one year. I have also seen posts that stated Apple told them there was a 30 day waiting period before the address could be used again. You will need to get another e-mail address from somewhere like AOL or Yahoo to use as your Apple ID or you can try waiting 30 days to see if that works.

Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.  * 

Make sure you turn of Find My Phone before signing out of the old ID. Once signed out and Find My Phone is off, then sign in with the new ID, then turn Find My Phone back on.

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support  *  I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2022 9:45 AM in response to BillSeaman

If you have the new email address set up as a separate Apple ID, you can't use that email address with the old ID. You need to change the email address on the new ID to free up the address so you can use it with the old ID. Apple hasn’t published any guidance for using an address again. Normally, if your e-mail address was associated with an ID in any way, then it can't be reused as an  Apple ID email address for approximately one year. I have also seen posts that stated Apple told them there was a 30 day waiting period before the address could be used again. You will need to get another e-mail address from somewhere like AOL or Yahoo to use as your Apple ID or you can try waiting 30 days to see if that works.

Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.  * 

Make sure you turn of Find My Phone before signing out of the old ID. Once signed out and Find My Phone is off, then sign in with the new ID, then turn Find My Phone back on.

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support  *  I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

I want to have my old Apple ID updated to be acceded via my new email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.