Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black Screen with Airplay on macOS Monterey

Hi, I'm experiencing issues streaming movies over Apple TV on AirPlay.

Netflix, Disney +, and Hulu work directly on my Macbook, but when I connect my device over AirPlay to my Apple TV, the screen is black, but I can hear audio. This happens both on the Google Chrome browser and Safari.

Any workaround?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 11:11 AM

Try this for the Google Chrome Browser, go to Chrome Settings > Advanced > System, turn off Use hardware acceleration when available, Relaunch then try Disney+/Airplay again.

Similar questions

11 replies

Jun 21, 2022 9:32 AM in response to Norwun@NYC

I’m not using Chrome on my MacBook Air. Is there a solution for using Safari? What about the Apple TV+ app on MacBook Airs?

I experience the same black screen issue when streaming Apple TV+ from my MBA to Apple TV (3rd Gen). My Desktop and Apple TV+ window shows up on my tv screen but when I play an show or film, the pop up window opens up with only audio (black window) . When I turn off AirPlay, the same pop up window come to life and I have audio and visual images.

Apr 13, 2022 4:41 PM in response to bgmeek

Thank you for your reply.

• I'm using an Apple TV which is in conference mode, the stand-alone apps are not enabled.
  • Streaming Hulu, Disney plus, Netflix, etc works fine when I'm not on my Mac but the moment I screen mirror to the Apple TV it goes black.
  • I have the Apple TVos up to date, rebooted my Apple TV, and relaunch my browser.

Apr 5, 2022 2:31 PM in response to wnazari

wnazari wrote:

Hi, I'm experiencing issues streaming movies over Apple TV on AirPlay.

I'm not clear on what you mean -- do you have an Apple TV hardware device or a TV that supports AirPlay 2?

Netflix, Disney +, and Hulu work directly on my Macbook, but when I connect my device over AirPlay to my Apple TV, the screen is black, but I can hear audio. This happens both on the Google Chrome browser and Safari.

Well, if you have an Apple TV device, you're going the long way around the block, since you could simply run Netflix, Hulu and Disney+ apps on the Apple TV itself.

Anyway, on my macbook air, I just tried to "AirPlay" the Disney+ web site to my AirPlay 2-enabled LG TV. It wouldn't work (the LG was greyed out and labled as "available for some video sites"). I gather Disney is worried about copy protection.

any workaround?

Yes. I set the LG TV up as an extended display to my macOS desktop. System Preferences... > Displays > Add Display... and setup your AirPlay 2 TV as an extended display rather than mirrored at the TV's native resolution. Then drag the Disney+ tab from Chrome off the right side of your macbook display onto the TV, hit play and go full-screen. I've got something playing now as I type this on my Macbook display in another Chrome Window. The TV's audio is working well too.

Note that the resolution and playback performance on the "wireless display" is not nearly as good as that of the Apple TV 4K plugged directly into the LG TV via HDMI (or the LG's native Disney+ app either :-).

Black Screen with Airplay on macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.