Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV videos suddenly blacked-out (with audio) during AirPlay

Up until a few days ago, neither my LG TV nor my Samsung TV had any issue AirPlaying video from my M1 Macbook Air. But suddenly, select streaming content displays as a blacked-out rectangle. Audio works fine, and everything else on screen is 1:1 with the laptop display.

I am using AirPlay to cast directly to the TVs, which, again, used to work just fine.

Here's a breakdown of my experience:

Apple TV+ shows via Apple TV App - Blacked out

Apple TV+ shows via Browser - Works

Xfinity Stream via Browser - Blacked out

YouTube via Browser - Works

It's just oddly inconsistent. Previously, everything displayed 1:1 whether I was mirroring or using either TV as a separate display. The fact that it suddenly stopped on two TV brands struck me as odd.

I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting airplay multiple times in succession. Video appears as normal on the laptop the instant I disconnect AirPlay. Everything else stays 1:1.

I am running Monterey 12.1. I'm unaware if the MacBook auto-updated since it last worked properly. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Posted on May 11, 2022 11:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2022 5:34 PM

Thanks for reaching out, MrNeat.

It sounds like you're having trouble with mirroring some content from your MacBook. We can help.

One thing we want to check is if you're trying to AirPlay digital rights management, or DRM-protected content, because if you are this is what we expect to happen.

You can usually tell if the provider requires you to sign in to view the content, or if you try to AirPlay the same content and it is always blacked out. If you can sometimes see the video, this might be a different issue.

Let us know more about the content you're having trouble with, and we'll see if there is a pattern.

Keep us posted.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2022 5:34 PM in response to MrNeat

Thanks for reaching out, MrNeat.

It sounds like you're having trouble with mirroring some content from your MacBook. We can help.

One thing we want to check is if you're trying to AirPlay digital rights management, or DRM-protected content, because if you are this is what we expect to happen.

You can usually tell if the provider requires you to sign in to view the content, or if you try to AirPlay the same content and it is always blacked out. If you can sometimes see the video, this might be a different issue.

Let us know more about the content you're having trouble with, and we'll see if there is a pattern.

Keep us posted.

May 14, 2022 6:16 PM in response to AdvisorMP

Thanks so much for the reply! With this info, I did a little DRM-related searching and testing. I think you've cracked it—the services in question must have implemented DRM protection in the last few weeks. I'm a little floored this level of control/policing, down to the external display options, is even possible! You learn something new every day. Fortunately, using an HDMI cable works—most of the time.

Very surprising Apple TV+ shows aren't allowing AirPlay, but I digress. I'll revisit this thread if I notice any new patterns. Thanks so much for the info.

Apple TV videos suddenly blacked-out (with audio) during AirPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.