Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update studio display

I keep getting

"Apple Studio Display firmware update could not be completed. Try again in an hour. If the problem persists, contact an authorized Apple service provider."

How to fix this?

Studio Display

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 8:58 AM

40 replies

Apr 8, 2022 2:58 PM in response to wang67

I also get this for both my Studio Displays (connected to a Mac Studio).

Furthermore, the problem with the Studio Displays also prevented me from applying the latest macOS software update (12.3.1), which includes security fixes.

I worked around this by shutting down the Mac Studio, unplugging the Studio Displays, plugging in an LG monitor, rebooting, and doing a macOS software update.

Apr 10, 2022 9:21 AM in response to wang67

Apple is no longer signing iOS 15.4, so it can’t be downloaded/installed.

We will have to wait until Apple releases iOS 15.4.1 for the Studio Display or until they change their certificates to seperate the Studio Display from the iPhones for installation.

Don’t bother lugging your monitor into an Apple store for support. There is no hardware problem. Apple just goofed with their software certificates and will have to sort out what they want to do going forward.

Apr 10, 2022 10:16 AM in response to BenjaminNYC

True, I also expected it to show up in my devices which would have been handy to get support for it.

There haven‘t been any camera improvements yet with that update, at least not according to the release notes & from my judgement – still hoping it can get a bit better via software (though it‘s been awfully silent since the initial announcement of fixes so my hopes aren‘t that high anymore).

Apr 10, 2022 10:40 AM in response to wang67

Here the details for my setup:

Studio Display is connected to: Mac Studio

Mac Studio Firmware: MacOS Monterey 12.3.1

Cable: Thunderbolt 4 Cable provided with Studio Display

Failed Update: Apple Studio Display Firmware Update 15.4

Error message: "Apple Studio Display firmware update could not be completed. Try again in an hour. If the problem persists, contact an authorized Apple service provider."

Note: In the meantime you can still update your mac OS by in "Software Update" DON'T click "Update Now" but instead click "More Info" and uncheck the Studio Display firmware and then click "Install Now"

------------------------------------------

MORE DETAILS:

In "About This Mac" -> "System Report" -> "Graphics/Displays"

Studio Display:

Display Type: Retina LCD

Resolution: 5120 x 2880 Retina

Display Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXX

Display Firmware Version: Version 15.3 (Build 19D8050)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes

In "About This Mac" -> "System Report" ->"Thunderbolt/USB4" -> "Thunderbolt/USB4 Bus2"

Studio Display:

Vendor Name: Apple Inc.

Device Name: Studio Display

Mode: Thunderbolt 3

Device ID: 0x801F

Vendor ID: 0x1

Device Revision: 0x1

UID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Route String: 1

Firmware Version: 67.1

Port (Upstream):

Link Status: 0x2

Speed: Up to 40 Gb/s x1

Current Link Width: 0x2

Link Controller Firmware Version: 1.45.0

Apr 10, 2022 10:37 AM in response to gsach

I have the following info under "About This Mac" -> "System Report" -> "Graphics/Displays"

Studio Display:

Display Type: Retina LCD

Resolution: 5120 x 2880 Retina

Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Display Serial Number: xxxxxxxxx

Display Firmware Version: Version 15.4 (Build 19E241) <- is this the latest version

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes

Connected to a 2017 iMac via Thunderbolt 3

Is this the latest version number? Either it came this way or upgraded in the background within my help.

Apr 10, 2022 10:46 AM in response to David Bourne

Yes, 15.4 is the latest version. When I updated, the connected MacBook had to reboot, so you probably would have noticed. If you just got the display, maybe it was shipped with the latest version already?

(Oddly enough, two German Apple Support employees told me 15.4.1 was the latest a few days back, but that never showed up and isn‘t mentioned anywhere on the internet for the ASD yet.)

Can't update studio display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.