Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard mismatch on MacBook Air

Hello

I have an older MacBook Air running OS 11.6.2 - it appears that I have a French Canadian keyboard - however certain symbols (the shift 6 keyboard shows as a ?, but when you hit shift 6, it produces a ^).

I cannot find any keyboard that aligns with what is on the machine.

How can I find and add the correct keyboard so that when I type, it matches the symbols printed on the keys?

Thank you

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 1:50 PM

Was the laptop repaired? If so, then the repair tech did not properly associate the keyboard for your laptop. If this is the case, then you will need to have the repair tech run the Apple configuration utility for the keyboard/trackpad to properly associate it with your laptop. Even if the laptop has not been repaired, there is a slim possibility the configuration setting in the firmware has been corrupted and needs reset which can only be done by Apple or an AASP with their service utilities.

Otherwise you may just have some sort of macOS keyboard configuration issue or corrupt keyboard preference file.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2022 1:50 PM in response to LateBloomer1932

Was the laptop repaired? If so, then the repair tech did not properly associate the keyboard for your laptop. If this is the case, then you will need to have the repair tech run the Apple configuration utility for the keyboard/trackpad to properly associate it with your laptop. Even if the laptop has not been repaired, there is a slim possibility the configuration setting in the firmware has been corrupted and needs reset which can only be done by Apple or an AASP with their service utilities.

Otherwise you may just have some sort of macOS keyboard configuration issue or corrupt keyboard preference file.

Apr 10, 2022 1:29 PM in response to LateBloomer1932

LateBloomer1932 wrote:

How can I find and add the correct keyboard so that when I type, it matches the symbols printed on the keys?

Go to system preferences > keyboard > input sources and click on the plus button. Go to French and you should see a keyboard called Canadian French CSA. That should match your keys. Remove anything else that may be on the input source list.

If that does not match, please post of picture of your keyboard.

Keyboard mismatch on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.