Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro 2018 with touch bar suddenly died overnight

I had a perfectly fine working laptop. One morning I found it was off, though I didn’t shutdown it. I powered it on and worked for an hour. Then I found it off again. After an additional power on, it was showing a download bar for some time (like SW update) and after it was done there was an error about a critical battery issue (had a perfectly good battery performance before), sent a report to Apple and died for good.

Any attempts to power it on with Apple support failed. Apple “Genius” concluded logic board failure - a 900$ repair. And… ALL MY DATA IS GONE!!!

I am unable to work for two weeks during all the investigation and must get some work machine.

After more than a decade of being an Apple fan, I really don’t know what to do now.

To fix? What if it fails again? Buy a new one and pray it is reliable? Lost my faith…

To learn using a Windows? Or a Linux? What do you recommend?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 11:35 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Apr 10, 2022 11:49 AM in response to Quantobria

Quantobria wrote:

I had a perfectly fine working laptop. One morning I found it was off, though I didn’t shutdown it. I powered it on and worked for an hour. Then I found it off again. After an additional power on, it was showing a download bar for some time (like SW update) and after it was done there was an error about a critical battery issue (had a perfectly good battery performance before), sent a report to Apple and died for good.
Any attempts to power it on with Apple support failed. Apple “Genius” concluded logic board failure - a 900$ repair. And… ALL MY DATA IS GONE!!!
I am unable to work for two weeks during all the investigation and must get some work machine.

After more than a decade of being an Apple fan, I really don’t know what to do now.
To fix? What if it fails again? Buy a new one and pray it is reliable? Lost my faith…
To learn using a Windows? Or a Linux? What do you recommend?

hard drives, logic boards, computers can fail at anytime—this is the nature of the medium.

If you never had a catastrophic failure, then so far you lucked out— do not wait to get the back up religion.

Always good to have a backup—this should not be an issue

if you value your user data,

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

one ex. Back up your Mac with Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

If the computer is mission critical, having backup hardware (ie a second machine) can save your bacon.

If you buy a new Mac I would factor in your AppleCare+ which adds two yrs + the basic one year warranty:

If you have AppleCare+ it will cover a large portion of accidental damage.

AppleCare Products - Mac - Apple

this also gives you the ability to Extend your AppleCare+ coverage

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage - Apple Support

Macbook pro 2018 with touch bar suddenly died overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.