Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High ram usage

I have just realized that i got 5 gb ram on usage even if there is nothing opened in my mac .It makes no sense and i have just needed to ask this usage's reason . And if it's normal or not ? And how i can be able to handle it myself?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 8:27 AM

If it gets into the yellow open activity monitor and look at all activities to see which are heavily using RAM. The MacOS manages RAM very well. You bought and paid for 8GB RAM, you should be using 8GB RAM. RAM is dynamic and it stores data that the system anticipates you need quick access to. If RAM was not being used it would not be doing its job. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. The more used the better performance you will see. If you bought 32GB RAM you would see a similar percentage of your RAM being used (maybe 24 GB) while doing the same as you are doing now.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2022 8:27 AM in response to toddylizard

If it gets into the yellow open activity monitor and look at all activities to see which are heavily using RAM. The MacOS manages RAM very well. You bought and paid for 8GB RAM, you should be using 8GB RAM. RAM is dynamic and it stores data that the system anticipates you need quick access to. If RAM was not being used it would not be doing its job. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. The more used the better performance you will see. If you bought 32GB RAM you would see a similar percentage of your RAM being used (maybe 24 GB) while doing the same as you are doing now.

Apr 12, 2022 7:49 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

First of all, thank you for informing me and answering my questions. But it does not remain on green all the time and gets yellower. By the way, i had asked this question because it was always 2 or 3 GB on usage a while ago and suddenly it turns out to be like 5 or even much more than that . So that i had needed to ask about what may have been the reason?

High ram usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.