📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings to get the most from the Apple Watch and Apple Watch Ultra

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch not counting flights of stairs without iphone

I have Apple Watch Series 3, 6, 7 and none of them count the flights of stairs I run if I don't have my iphone in my pocket. I frequently run stadiums and sometimes I don't have my iphone with me and when I look at my health info later after I'm done it never shows the flights I just ran. I'm at a loss because I cannot find how to fix this. All the forums just want me to reset watch/phone or update. All my stuff is updated to latest version so there must be a setting or something not checked or either the watch just doesn't have the ability to track flights of stairs without the iphone.

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 9:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 10:16 AM

Normally I am running the track and change up and do stadiums so it isn’t practical to stop and change watch app to “Stairs” versus “Outdoor run” or HIIT. While I have my iPhone in my pocket it can recognize when I go up and down stairs in between laps but apparently the watch alone cannot differentiate between the two. Sometimes not able to have iPhone on me when running stairs. Thanks anyway.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 12, 2022 10:16 AM in response to ASTRO24

Normally I am running the track and change up and do stadiums so it isn’t practical to stop and change watch app to “Stairs” versus “Outdoor run” or HIIT. While I have my iPhone in my pocket it can recognize when I go up and down stairs in between laps but apparently the watch alone cannot differentiate between the two. Sometimes not able to have iPhone on me when running stairs. Thanks anyway.

Apr 12, 2022 10:10 AM in response to coolrayjr

Hi coolrayjr,

To ensure your Apple Watch counts your workout, Open the Workout app and select Stairs. Once your workout is complete, the data from the workout will be displayed onscreen, in the Activity app, and your Health app. If your watch is not calculating your effort, make sure it is calibrated as mentioned in Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy.

For ongoing issue, unpair Apple Watch from iPhone and set up again.

Regards.

Apr 12, 2022 10:22 AM in response to coolrayjr

coolrayjr,

Thanks for explaining further.

Another option rather than tapping your watch and tapping the + to change workouts, you could also ask Siri on your Watch or headphones depending if supported or use Hey Siri if supported.

You can leave feedback on how this experience could be different here:Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Apr 12, 2022 10:31 AM in response to Rigo_O86

I can try that. Thank you. Biggest reason I didn’t want to change workouts is because without my glasses I. Annoy read screen. I leave glasses in vehicle while running. Hey Siri sounds like a good option.

But I would love to know for certain from someone with knowledge if the watch alone can differentiate between running track and running flights of stairs without being told it’s stairs. Doesn’t sound like it has that ability but I’m assuming. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Apple Watch not counting flights of stairs without iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.