Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

old shuffle not recognized

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 2:04 PM

5 replies

Apr 12, 2022 11:07 AM in response to brendafromglenwood

Hi brendafromglenwood, We appreciate you reaching out to us. We understand that your iPod shuffle is not recognized by iTunes.

We’d like to gather additional details that may help us be in a better position to assist you.

Do you have other devices that are recognized by iTunes?

Have you tried other cables?

In the meantime, we recommend that you update iTunes.

While it isn't inherently assured that an update will resolve the issue, updating to the latest iTunes version can help isolate potential software issues. 

Update iTunes on PC

Take care!

May 17, 2022 12:58 PM in response to Seabeethree

@Seabeethree - If you're using Windows, your PC may be missing the iPod Service that iTunes needs to see an iPod. Check my post: iPod Service missing - Apple Community

At least for me, the most recent version of iTunes (12.12.3.5) doesn't install that iPod Service on my Win 10 PC, but an older version installs this essential service and now my Shuffle is recognized again.

No idea what's wrong with the newest version...

May 18, 2022 2:29 AM in response to hero1321

Thanks for the suggestion @hero1321 I'm on macOS.

UPDATE

I can now see my trusty old iPod Shuffle on macOS Music. I assume that it was merely a connection fault, before, when I couldn't see it.

It behaves as expected in that I can sync tracks that I own, but not iCloud Music tracks. This seems a little bit over cautious because you couldn't store very much music there and it would only be playable after leaving iCloud Music on that device...but, fair enough I suppose.

The only problem that I now have is that if I try to sync a batch of tracks, e.g., by a Playlist, it fails as soon as it finds an iCloud Music track, rather than just skipping it. So you'd need to check which tracks you actually own and create a fresh Playlist or drag them individually.

Pretty impressive that it's still going, and retaining charge well after >10 years. It also went through the washing machine once!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.