You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to communicate with the printer

My wife’s 2021 16” MacBook Pro (macOS Monterey) suddenly is “Unable to communicate with the printer at this time”. The printer is located on our local network. It’s not shared and it’s Air-Print enabled (No problem printing from our iPhones). She has a strong Wi-Fi connection. I’m able to print wirelessly from my MacBook with no issues. Since I can print from my laptop I don't think printer software is the issue.

I’ve tried:

Resetting the print system

Adding the printer- “Unable to communicate” so I couldn’t add it

Rebooting the router

Restarting both the printer and her laptop

Pinging the printer - no luck (Oddly I tried pinging it from my laptop and it didn’t bounce back either, even though I can print).

I reviewed the other comments and references and found nothing I haven’t already tried.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 12:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 12:46 PM

On each and every computer:

IPv6:

System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (advanced) >TCP/IP > IPv6 ... to Link-local only

ON may cause routing activity that interferes with your networking.

OFF will make it hard to find printers and other services on your network.

4 replies

Apr 13, 2022 4:41 PM in response to Sungroupie

MacOS has a great feature called Discovery protocol. It uses IPv6 set to "link-local only" to snoop around you local network and discover Printers, File sharing , and similar resources.

to be "found" over your network, , the Printer needs to know three things:

1) what network-name is it supposed to join

2) what is the password to get on that network

3) how is it supposed to get an IP address (DHCP or manual at a specified address)

There are basically two ways to get these into the Printer:

a) fat-finger it in through the printer's "front panel"

b) connect using a USB cable first, tell it the stuff, then disconnect the cable

without all three of these, it can't join your home network, so it can't be 'discovered'.

May 16, 2022 12:04 PM in response to Sungroupie

I had this same problem with a pair of Macs (Studio and M1 mini). Same network, same printers, same version of macOS.

The solution for me was to re-install macOS Monterey on the problem computer.

To do this, you need to start in Recovery Mode.

You don't say whether this is an M1 MacBook Pro. If it is, turn off the computer. Then restart it while holding power button for 6 seconds. On the screen that appears, choose Options. Then Reinstall Monterey.

Let us know whether this works for you.

Unable to communicate with the printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.