Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I stream lossless music with Airplay and Apple Music ?

Hello.

Simple question, but I can't find any reliable answer.

I have an Apple Music account. And a Harman Kardon receiver that works with Airplay.

If I stream lossless tracks through Airplay to my receiver, will I hear real lossless sound in the speakers ?

I know Airplay can stream up to 16 bits/44 kHz. But I read that in the beginning of Apple lossless audio, Airplay streaming lossless was downscaled to AAC.

How is the situation today ?

Thank you for your help.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 2:26 AM

2 replies

Apr 19, 2022 7:43 AM in response to teardr0p

Hi teardr0p,

If you'd like to know more about lossless audio in Apple Music with AirPlay, these steps might help. 

Can I listen to lossless audio via Bluetooth?

We will deliver music using lossless audio compression to your iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple TV. Lossless audio will play back normally on Bluetooth speakers and headphones. However, Bluetooth connections don’t support lossless audio.

The information above is from About lossless audio in Apple Music. Since Airplay uses a Bluetooth connection to a receiver/speaker, it isn't lossless. 

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

Can I stream lossless music with Airplay and Apple Music ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.