Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac keep restarting itself.

I'm using a MacBook12’’,  early 2016. My mac keep restarting itself since I tried to updated to Monterey it says 'Your computer restarted because of a problem' or they call 'Kernel Panics' or Blue screen in the Windows world, I’ve tried to fixed it every method that I could find on the internet, I did it through safe mode.

But still keep restarting itself, i checked with command D :Diagnostics says no issue found until i have to erase hdd and reinstall by using Command R and that only one option is El Capitan that i can choose to install, but there still keep restarting itself.

Even if recovery by Time machine the Mac still keep restarting.

I tried to load other OS Monterey, Bigsur, Mojave, Catalina, every time I choose to install HDD on my Mac it restarts itself again and again but if i choose to install to Ex-hdd i can install the os successfully every time...

So that means the SSD HDD in the Mac is broken right? But Diagnostics say no issue found!

What should i try next?

please help!

Sorry for my poor English.

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 3:33 PM

Porchita Said:

"My Mac keep restarting itself.: Now it doesn't restart anymore. but frozen instead :)"

-------

Try Force Quit...

If stuck, then perform the following...

Use this User Tip: [command+tab] Use it to Access your Mac when Something is Not Responding - User Tip

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 19, 2022 9:22 PM in response to Porchita

Porchita Said:

"My Mac keep restarting itself.: I'm using a MacBook12’’,  early 2016. My mac keep restarting itself since I tried to updated to Monterey[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting a Mac in a Boot Loop:

Is this consistent? If so, it seems you are in a boot loop. So, refer to the following...

A. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Basel Macs Only) Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

B. Re-Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . You need to click the “Mount’ button to proceed. So, select the drives, and then click "Mount" Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more. It looks dulled-out. So, if you cannot click it, then click the First Aid button to fix this volume.

and...

C. Install, or Restore to Access it:

If it is telling you kennel error,, then it is likely due to a corrupt update. So, either(A.) backup your Mac > erase the drive in Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) > install Catalina > Move a content using Migration Assistant. Or, (B.) just restore your Mac from a backup you created prior to this update. Didn't make a backup? If so, take this as a learning experience, knowing to always back up your Mac prior to making any major changes to it(such as an update. That way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the update.

Apr 19, 2022 9:44 PM in response to Porchita

Here's what you can do:

1. First, try to check your MacBook HDD or SSD. You can try turning ON your macBook then press and holding the D button on the keyboard. MacBook will automatically check all hardware thoroughly. All you need to do is wait until the checking process is complete.

2. Search on youtube for fix it. There a lot tutorial on youtube that you can try.

2. Re-install your MacOS MacBook, just if you want and give up.

3. Final step, if still restarting itself, take to service center.

I hope this tips can help you to fix it. :)

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Apr 20, 2022 11:09 AM in response to TheLittles

Hello TheLittles…

Normally my mac restarts itself within 3-5 minutes after I try to intall OS into a buildin HDD, but now it's almost 10 minutes later, the mac still doesn't hang. not restart ..I think this is a good sign. that should be successful, just i press reset ram option+command+P+R

I don't know how to thank you to you. Thank you very much for the advice.

My Mac keep restarting itself.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.