Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPU Panic from Wake from Sleep

Recently, my MacBook Pro 16 inch would get a GPU Panic issue whenever I resume my laptop from wake from sleep, and would restart my laptop. This issue does not happen when in Safe Mode, and I see someone with the same laptop and issue, kernel panic cpu panic - Apple Community. I have not had this issue before. Any assistance would be appreciated.

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7fa417b749): GPU Panic: [3:0:0][PPLIB] Failed Power Play Resume. Shutting back down. TTL Error Message: {} --> {7213057983363:[3:0:0] Error SW_IP_CLIENT_ID__SMU: event_id=0xc0140406 event_info:type=3 hw_id=0 event_specific_tag=0x6 pData=0 data_size=0 %s %s %d %s}.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 9:43 AM

LyBrandon wrote:

Recently, my MacBook Pro 16 inch would get a GPU Panic issue whenever I resume my laptop from wake from sleep, and would restart my laptop. This issue does not happen when in Safe Mode, and I see someone with the same laptop and issue, kernel panic cpu panic - Apple Community
. I have not had this issue before. Any assistance would be appreciated.

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7fa417b749): GPU Panic: [3:0:0][PPLIB] Failed Power Play Resume. Shutting back down. TTL Error Message: {} --> {7213057983363:[3:0:0] Error SW_IP_CLIENT_ID__SMU: event_id=0xc0140406 event_info:type=3 hw_id=0 event_specific_tag=0x6 pData=0 data_size=0 %s %s %d %s}.

Is this an M1 or an Intel 16" MBP...?

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2022 9:43 AM in response to LyBrandon

LyBrandon wrote:

Recently, my MacBook Pro 16 inch would get a GPU Panic issue whenever I resume my laptop from wake from sleep, and would restart my laptop. This issue does not happen when in Safe Mode, and I see someone with the same laptop and issue, kernel panic cpu panic - Apple Community
. I have not had this issue before. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Is this an M1 or an Intel 16" MBP...?

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

Apr 21, 2022 9:57 AM in response to LyBrandon

LyBrandon wrote:

Sorry for not specifying, it is an intel 16 inch MacBook Pro, and I get a message popup saying it shut down because of a problem. As mentioned, the issue does not occur while in Safe Mode, so my assumption it could be some extension/software/service. Is there a way to remove faulty third-party kernel extensions, or to locate them for removal?

To get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com   —enable Full Disk Access for best results...

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Apr 21, 2022 9:53 AM in response to leroydouglas

Sorry for not specifying, it is an intel 16 inch MacBook Pro, and I get a message popup saying it shut down because of a problem. As mentioned, the issue does not occur while in Safe Mode, so my assumption it could be some extension/software/service. Is there a way to remove faulty third-party kernel extensions, or to locate them for removal?

Apr 21, 2022 10:47 AM in response to LyBrandon

LyBrandon wrote:

Hi, I had ran the utility and removed some software and am currently not seeing the issue again (knock on wood). Just wanted to express my thanks, and will come back if it ever does show again.

Thanks —

yes it would be good know if this solved your issue for the benefit of your fellow users searching a similar problem.

GPU Panic from Wake from Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.