Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Speed

I have 2 Macs in separate rooms and I have a fibre connection from BT. Mac 1 is connected to my BT Router by a 1.5 metre length cable and using Think Broadband I have measured the speed and it is around 100mbps.

Mac 2 is connected by approximately 15 metres of cable and I have measured the speed using Think Broadband and it is around 500mbps.

I have measured WiFi downstairs using Think Broadband on my iPad and it is around 250mbps.

Both Macs are 27" but the one closest to the router is newer and running Monterey the other one cannot run any later than Big Sur.

Why is there a large difference in download speeds?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 4:03 PM

Don't assume if everything else is okay it is not your modem and router. Please unplug the modem and router from their power connection, then plug in the modem first and then the router and give them about10 minutes to fully come up to speed, then restart the computer in Safe Mode and renew the DHCP Leas on the Mac and then restart normally and test it. Please do everything in the order described. Also, verify your cables are in perfect shape.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2022 4:03 PM in response to brijanhub

Don't assume if everything else is okay it is not your modem and router. Please unplug the modem and router from their power connection, then plug in the modem first and then the router and give them about10 minutes to fully come up to speed, then restart the computer in Safe Mode and renew the DHCP Leas on the Mac and then restart normally and test it. Please do everything in the order described. Also, verify your cables are in perfect shape.

Apr 24, 2022 10:02 AM in response to brijanhub

It is likely a setting, you can start by resetting the lease in the slower iMac and if the connection is still slow please unplug the modem, unplug the router and then turn on each, then after they fully come up please restart the computer.

On a Macintosh computer:

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Network from the View menu.
  3. Select Wi-Fi, then click the Advanced button in the lower-left hand corner of the screen.
  4. Select the TCP/IP tab from the top of the screen.
  5. Click Renew DHCP Lease and click OK.

Apr 24, 2022 12:07 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I have tried that but there is no difference In the speed on that Mac. It is hard wired to the Router and I have tried it with WiFi turned on and turned off. As you indicate it must be to do with the settings on that Mac, not on the Router, as the other Mac is getting the correct speed and the WiFi speed everywhere in the house is faster than that on this particular

Apr 24, 2022 12:37 PM in response to brijanhub

You didn't mention the type of cable in your LAN, but there is a table in Ethernet Cables Explained that shows speed caps by cable category and cable length. Any kinks in a cable that otherwise should support your expected bandwidth will reduce its speed. Your older iMac may be limited by its Wi-Fi chip capability and internal/external building interference.

I am still using a gen 4 Apple AirPort Base Station and the devices that see it (including two M1 Macs) via wireless usually max out at 300Mbps. The lone exception is the 2020 iMac 27-in Core I7 that reports this Wi-Fi connection at 405Mbps. None of my devices are more than 7 meters from the router. Waiting on the new Synology Wi-Fi 6 router to be released…

Apr 24, 2022 1:58 PM in response to VikingOSX

The fact is the older Mac, 2014, is in another room and I bought 15 metres of cable, ran it round the room, up the wall into the loft and down into the other room and connected it and I get over 500mbps whereas the other Mac, 2020, same spec, with 1.5 metre cable without any twists and turns I only get 100mbps. I shall try another cable to see if that is any different.

Internet Speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.