Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone camera photo setting taking movies

The "photo" setting of my iPhone 12 (iOS 15.4.1) camera sporadically takes short movies (.mov files). Live is off and has been confirmed off when this happens. So, it is not an issue with the live setting. Sometimes it will take stills, but usually movies. How do I correct this?

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2022 9:25 AM

Hello David Bunting,

When taking your photos, at any point are you holding the shutter button? If so, that will activate QuickTake, which is a feature that allows you to take videos without switching from photo mode. More info on this can be found here:

About the Camera features on your iPhone

Specific info is listed under "Grab a video with QuickTake". We hope this helps you.

Cheers!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2022 9:25 AM in response to David Bunting

Hello David Bunting,

When taking your photos, at any point are you holding the shutter button? If so, that will activate QuickTake, which is a feature that allows you to take videos without switching from photo mode. More info on this can be found here:

About the Camera features on your iPhone

Specific info is listed under "Grab a video with QuickTake". We hope this helps you.

Cheers!

Apr 28, 2022 11:17 AM in response to David Bunting

Hi David Bunting,

If you haven't done so yet, restart your iPhone. Sometimes this simple step can resolve unexpected behavior. If you have a case or screen protector on your iPhone, see if you notice a difference when you remove them. This will help if the case or screen protector are somehow changing the setting inadvertently.

If the issue persists, reply with the answers to these questions:

• Did you notice this behavior after any significant change to your device like a software update, or installation of a new app?
  • Was your iPhone dropped or exposed to liquid before this began?
  • Approximately how long are the movies?

Best regards.

May 1, 2022 9:00 AM in response to MVegas21

Thanks MVeagas21. This has been going on for a while, so not sure when it started or what the circumstances surrounding it were. The phone has not been dropped by me, but it is an Apple reconditioned phone. My initial problems appeared to be because of the 'live' setting and so I attributed everything to that. But now live has definitely been off for many months, including the setting that prevents reverting to live between uses.

I'm also having troubling replicating the problem at the moment. I looked back at a series of photos from last week and it took 2-3 normal photos, then 1-2 .mov files. It did various combinations of this over the course of about 25 photos in a single series, under the same conditions and with the same settings engaged. The .mov files are always 1 second.

Many thanks, appreciate your help!

iPhone camera photo setting taking movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.