Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need manual for bluetooth keyboard model a1314

Right now, I'm trying to get my Apple bluetooth keyboard to pair with my laptop (Windows 10). The LED light is not coming on, so I'm back to basics. How many batteries does it take? How do I remove what may be a battery stuck in the compartment?

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 8:56 AM

This is the manual for the two-battery variant of the board:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1208/en_US/Apple_Wireless_Keyboard_2009_UG.pdf

There were three variants of that keyboard model. One used three batteries and the others take two. Fortunately the board has a nearly-hidden icon that shows how many batteries and their orientation

Flip the board upside down and look at the tubular portion:

The icon indicates this example takes two batteries.

The difference between the two-battery and three- battery variants has caused a lot of people to think they had a battery stuck but had a two-battery model.

If shining a light in the battery compartment clearly shows another battery and not the normal metal contact, you have to get just a little physical. Normally holding the board with the battery compartment pointed down, then light tapping the keyboard on a "slightly hard" surface will free a stuck battery. I tap them on whatever magazine is close to to my workstation.

If that does not free the stuck battery, I bump the sides of the tube with the heel of my hand. Still no joy? At the point I usually consider the keyboard "too-far-gone" and get another.

Although I've used Macs since 1989, I have no experience setting up wireless devices on Windows. You may need to check with Windows support or a Windows forum to learn that if no one else offers a tutorial here.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2022 8:56 AM in response to solargadgets

This is the manual for the two-battery variant of the board:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1208/en_US/Apple_Wireless_Keyboard_2009_UG.pdf

There were three variants of that keyboard model. One used three batteries and the others take two. Fortunately the board has a nearly-hidden icon that shows how many batteries and their orientation

Flip the board upside down and look at the tubular portion:

The icon indicates this example takes two batteries.

The difference between the two-battery and three- battery variants has caused a lot of people to think they had a battery stuck but had a two-battery model.

If shining a light in the battery compartment clearly shows another battery and not the normal metal contact, you have to get just a little physical. Normally holding the board with the battery compartment pointed down, then light tapping the keyboard on a "slightly hard" surface will free a stuck battery. I tap them on whatever magazine is close to to my workstation.

If that does not free the stuck battery, I bump the sides of the tube with the heel of my hand. Still no joy? At the point I usually consider the keyboard "too-far-gone" and get another.

Although I've used Macs since 1989, I have no experience setting up wireless devices on Windows. You may need to check with Windows support or a Windows forum to learn that if no one else offers a tutorial here.

Apr 29, 2022 9:40 AM in response to solargadgets

Sometimes the minimalism that is in Apple product markings get is the way!

I just found this post on MS's forums the suggest you may have trouble getting the pairing number to enter in Win 10:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-apple-bluetooth-keyboard-a-1314-to-win/6295a0b2-ff3c-414f-acc6-6b48d0a4ecc5

If you get to the PIN request, make sure you try entering it from the LAPTOP's keyboard, not the A1314. I found other references to the same pairing problem but one that had screen shots suggested to me that the user was trying to enter the PIN on the Apple keyboard, which obviously wass not yet paired.

This site:

https://gist.github.com/mcandre/a1c6915d2e338fef6a42e54655d28062

looks like someone found workaround but it does not specify which Apple wireless boards. Also READ the entire thread before jumping in. Farther downs someone has posted a modified method that appears to have helped others through the problem.

Need manual for bluetooth keyboard model a1314

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.