Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mail app has always been glitchy. I don't want to migrate it over to a new computer. Would I be able to prevent this app and other apps from migrating over to new computer?

My Mail app in my MacBook Pro has always been glitchy. I don't want to migrate it over to my new Mac Mini. Would I be able to prevent this app and other apps from migrating over to new computer? Does the migration system allow me to be very selective regarding what I migrate over to new computer?

My plan would be to enter my email clients/accounts, via preferences, into the new Mail app on the new computer (Mac Mini) and leave the old Mail app behind in my MacBook Pro (don't want the old Mail or any of its glitches to follow over into my new Mini.

Posted on May 1, 2022 2:46 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 1, 2022 3:38 PM in response to BDAqua

Oh, so the Mail app won't migrate over. That makes sense since my old MacBook (High Sierra is as far as it can go) probably doesn't even have the newest version of Mail. If this is the case, then I don't really need to worry that a dysfunctional Mail app would migrate over to my new Mini (unless there is a chance that "trouble" can migrate over through the migration of the mail data and settings). Yet, I do like the idea of setting up from scratch to avoid migrating any sort of crap or trouble over to my new computer. Might be safer/smarter to just enter the account data from my MacBook Mail accts into the Mini's Mail preferences, and really start from scratch.

This obviously means that most all if not all of the standard Mac apps in my MacBook won't transfer over, since they are older versions, and just the data and setting will migrate over, correct?

May 1, 2022 3:49 PM in response to BDAqua

Oh, then there really isn't much to worry about then. Thanks.

Just thought of another question... I have lots of documents that I created for my business, lots of lists, programs, etc. on either Pages or Text Edit. If all my docs get migrated over, will they (like the old Pages docs) be able to be opened in the new most recent version of Pages and Text Edit?

My Mail app has always been glitchy. I don't want to migrate it over to a new computer. Would I be able to prevent this app and other apps from migrating over to new computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.