Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey. I cannot move files from desktop to a folder. It only copies it then I have to delete original.

I can't move files from my desktop into a folder. It only copies it then I have to delete original.

Any suggestions?

I've read some forum answers on older OS such as:

-It's because my desktop folders are all alias folders.

-Turn off filevault. (how?)

These were from 10 or so years ago, do they still pertain to Montery?

Thanks

Posted on May 3, 2022 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2022 5:54 PM

Ebzoo wrote:

Bummer..... and there is no super-power trick to get around this?
Nikki

No super powers needed. Just hold down command key when you drop the file.

Works in the opposite way, too--Copy instead of Move.

10 replies

May 3, 2022 9:23 PM in response to Ebzoo

What happens if you create a new folder by selecting New Folder under the File Menu, then moving the file to it?

To Turn off FireVault, go to System Preferences under the Apple Menu, then click on the Security and Privacy icon, and then the FireVault tab (the second of four tabs in that window). If you have trouble clicking the button, click the lock at the bottom left to unlock that window with a password.

May 4, 2022 9:42 PM in response to dialabrain

I will try that tomorrow. But since I wrote my question I was messing around and come to find out it only leaves the original behind when I move the file to a folder that's an alias. Moving files to a "real" folder works fine, no copy left behind.

The way I have my desktop set up is by using all alias folders with their original folder on the external hard drives. ( I have three, all with different types of files and then they are all on Time Machine. I'm pretty paranoid since I had a couple TB's of stuff on my internal when it went belly up and had to get a new one. I got most of it back and onto my new iMac from Time Machine, but it was a hassle.

Does that moving to alias folder problem anything you have heard of?

Thanks

Thanks

So I guess I am asking if there is a way to allow my files to be moved and not copied to my alias folders.

May 4, 2022 9:49 PM in response to applecommunitymember

Thank you! I already had FileVault off, so that wasn't it. My original folders are all on externals and an alias of those folders are on my desktop. I was messing around yesterday and sure enough the files will move to a new folder created onto the desktop, but copies the file when moving to an alias folder.

Is this something I can change?

Thanks again,

Nikki

May 4, 2022 10:20 PM in response to Ebzoo

Hey Ebzoo!

Yes then this would make sense.

If you drag a file or folder from a HD to the same HD, (Such as the internal HD, hence, from Downloads to Desktop), it will move it.

However, if you drag a file or folder from one HD to another HD, (Such as from your Mac’s Desktop, to your external hard drive), it will copy it, instead of moving it.

Hope that helps.

Monterey. I cannot move files from desktop to a folder. It only copies it then I have to delete original.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.