Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes will not play music from my cds

I used to live in the uk

I have an extensive cd collection a lot of which I loaded onto my iPhone and iPad via a windows pc. Whilst in the uk I could play all those songs

I have retired to Cyprus and now most of the music I have put on my iPhone iPad will not play

I get a message not playable in your region !!

Why ?… I have paid for the cds ?

for the avoidance of doubt ..I have never uploaded a song without paying for it

very frustrating when iTunes will allow me to pay for a song to play it ..AGAIN !!! …but won’t let me play my already paid for version

Posted on May 4, 2022 12:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2022 6:54 PM

@ the fiend,

you are missing OP's point. His cd's, like mine, play in iTunes without ay issue, but all my later devices, running Apple Music run into the same issue, and I haven't moved countries, also it's not about music that's been purchased through Apples portals, it's about CD's we already own that Music won't accept as belonging to us.

It seems like Music checks songs against 'Apple Music International Database' and if it is not recognised as a tune that is available within that region from Apple Music it refuses to play it, even though it has been uploaded from a CD into an iTunes collection.

On my old Mac Book Pro, running iTunes 12, all my music plays, yet the same collection of music has issues with -not available in your region" warnings on later devices running the Apple Music iTunes replacement.

So in short, Apple Music doesn't see music uploaded from as CD as valid ownership, whilst iTunes didn't care.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2022 6:54 PM in response to the fiend

@ the fiend,

you are missing OP's point. His cd's, like mine, play in iTunes without ay issue, but all my later devices, running Apple Music run into the same issue, and I haven't moved countries, also it's not about music that's been purchased through Apples portals, it's about CD's we already own that Music won't accept as belonging to us.

It seems like Music checks songs against 'Apple Music International Database' and if it is not recognised as a tune that is available within that region from Apple Music it refuses to play it, even though it has been uploaded from a CD into an iTunes collection.

On my old Mac Book Pro, running iTunes 12, all my music plays, yet the same collection of music has issues with -not available in your region" warnings on later devices running the Apple Music iTunes replacement.

So in short, Apple Music doesn't see music uploaded from as CD as valid ownership, whilst iTunes didn't care.

May 4, 2022 1:48 PM in response to Studuke

Studuke wrote:

Strange how iTunes will allow me to buy the music AGAIN and play it on my devices..as long as I pay Itunes

There's almost bound to be a simple solution to your issue, but if you persist in repeating the same thing out of frustration, you won't see it. May I suggest therefore, that you concentrate on moving forward, not venting your (understandable) anger.

If the music in your Library is from CDs, then you don't even need to be signed into an iTunes account to play them (unless I'm very mistaken). tt2 mentioned purchases from the (iTunes) store, but you imply that you don't have any music from the iTunes Store, so that should not be the issue and you don't need to be signed in. However, he did also ask if you're subscribed to Apple Music or iTunes Match, but you have not specifically answered that question. At this point, I'd say it's an important one. Nor have you answered the even more important question about whether your music plays in iTunes itself, but not on your devices, or doesn't even play in iTunes.

Personally, I would sign out from the store, sign back in if you need to, but make sure that you have the correct country selected, because what iTunes can do is see that you're signed into the UK store, but from Cyprus and that might be the problem, albeit mistaken. But if you have no music from the iTunes Store, don't sign in.

.I understand your point..I think…but not Apple’s logic…what difference does it make where I live ?

It's not Apple's call. The copyright owners of music decide where it can be sold, so while the digital version of a song may be available in the UK, it might not be available in Cyprus (for example). But as mentioned, this is not the problem if the music in your iTunes Library is from CDs (regardless of whether the original CD was available there): iTunes (and portable devices) know only whether a song is from their store, or not from their store. Therefore, neither iTunes nor the devices can determine whether a non-iTunes store song is available in a particular country. However, as tt2 mentioned, error messages can be faulty (or even misleading).

Suggestions made here, by both tt2 and myself, are intended to rule out causes, leaving just the route to the solution. But that means you need to answer the questions, not go off at a tangent.

Oh, two more points:

• if I'm not mistaken, I believe I have experienced the "not in this region" message, and yet I haven't moved
  • iPods and iPads cannot decide on copyright matters for non-iTunes store music for a very simple reason: you might have taken the device on holiday to that well-known and very popular holiday destination of Cyprus

Kalinychta.

(Καλημέρα) - and no offence meant if you're in "a different part" of Cyprus.

May 4, 2022 8:14 AM in response to Studuke

Do you subscribe to either Apple Music or iTunes Match?

Is all of your media downloaded to your computer?

Have you changed the region you are signed into with your Apple ID? Purchases are attached to a specific store any may not be available to redownload if you change regions.

Does content play in iTunes, but fail to play on your devices? Assuming that is the case you may need to wipe and reload the devices.

tt2

May 4, 2022 9:23 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks ..I understand your point..I think…but not Apple’s logic…what difference does it make where I live ?

I paid for the cds and expect to be able to listen to them !

And I paid a ridiculous amount of money to Apple for an iPad and iPhone

Strange how iTunes will allow me to buy the music AGAIN and play it on my devices..as long as I pay Itunes

such a rip off

May 4, 2022 7:02 PM in response to turingtest2

Missing the point. Not about purchases through Apple, it's about Music vetting CD tracks and comparing those with which ones Apple has rights to.

iTunes 12 plays all tracks on CD's I've added to my library with no Region Issues, but Apple Music won't. Tells me those tracks are "not available in my region", though clearly they are as they appear on the CD I uploaded in to my iTunes library.

May 4, 2022 9:56 PM in response to mettananda.a

Thank you

I don’t subscribe to any music supplier…but I do buy individual tracks and whole albums occasionally from iTunes if that makes any difference

thanks for your time

This must be a fairly recent thing…as I used to load music onto my phone from cds ..in the uk….and then play that music wherever I was on holiday in the world…including Cyprus

so strange I used to be able to play my tunes in Nashville , Barbados, Malaga….even Aswan !!!…to name a few holiday destinations …...but cannot play them in the country in which I now live

May 4, 2022 11:55 PM in response to Studuke

Studuke,

It seems to be an issue with Apple Music, which as I understand it is linked to Apple supply chain. iTunes had no issue with tracks uploaded from CD's we had purchased. I have CD's in iTunes 12, running on one of my old Mac's that play with no issue, yet the same CD tracks in Apple Music, I have tracks that won't play "not available;able in this region". Same CD, same **** iTunes library. itTunes plays them, Apple Music won't.

To be honest, I don't think it will ever get resolved, 'cause Apple doesn't give a ****. Now Steve is gone it's all about the money and no longer about well crafted and designed hardware and software, we are pretty much forced to re-purchase those individual tracks from Apple if you want to use Apple Music

iTunes will not play music from my cds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.