Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro won’t turn on? Fan sounds like it’s breathing(?)

Yesterday my laptop started acting up a bit, it took longer to load the screen and it restarted unexpectedly while I was using it and it also took a while to turn back on after the restart. When I put it on sleep mode once I was done using it, I noticed the fan (?) was making some sort of breathing sound where it’ll sort of start up and then stop, and it would do this around every 20-30 seconds. It only stopped when I shut it down.

I went to use it again today and neither the screen nor the keyboard lit up (it also didn’t make the startup sound macs usually do when they power on), but the fan was making that weird breathing noise again. I only got it to stop by force shutting down my laptop. I tried searching if anyone else has had a similar issue to see if there’s anything I can do myself to fix it, but I haven’t found anything similar so I have no clue what to do.

Does this seem like an issue I can fix myself? or would it be best to get it looked at by a professional?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 4, 2022 8:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2022 9:56 AM

If it is an Intel Mac, then try an SMC Reset (read the instructions since the procedure is different for 2018+ models).

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you give EtreCheck "Full Disk Access" the report will contain more details which may provide more clues.

Try disconnecting all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2022 9:56 AM in response to natcervantes

If it is an Intel Mac, then try an SMC Reset (read the instructions since the procedure is different for 2018+ models).

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you give EtreCheck "Full Disk Access" the report will contain more details which may provide more clues.

Try disconnecting all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

Macbook Pro won’t turn on? Fan sounds like it’s breathing(?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.