Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail App does not save new smart mail boxes, brings back deleted ones, and simply does not work

1. I create new smart mail boxes with rules
  2. I delete some that I do not want

a) Smart boxes do not work at all. The rules applied are garbage: I say "everything ending in XY" and it shows everything ending in "ZW" or whatever totally unrelated

b) I create new smart boxes which work (not) with above behaviour and close the mail (which is total garbage) app and reopen it. The smart box is gone

c) I delete smart box that mail forces on me ("recovered") and I close the mail app (which I repeat is simple garbage, given I paid 4000 USD for this computer), and I open the app again and guess, what the deleted thing is back

Basically, the only it can do is send and receive emails. WOW. At least it can do that, after all it's a mail app.

Do you need me to go to gMail as your concurrence and just use that? Is that really where it has come to, with 4000 USD expensive plastic computers labelled "best laptop ever built"?

Don't even dare to say it is not updated. All latest OS and mail app versions etc are installed. Mac OS MONTEREY. This thing is not even offered in the below "what topic is this related to" by default. One has to choose "other topic" lol. I guess your own support system is the same kind of rubbish?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 5, 2022 4:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 6:58 AM

The only solution to this replicable bug is, disable "mail" in "iCloud Drive" > Options.

Create, rename, delete and edit your smart (lol, this is ironic. lets call them "unintelligent" mailboxes).

This will work just fine.

Now, it seems after that you can re-enable the option, however doing so will make the bug come back, so while all your changes will persist, you won't be able to do further changes without first disabling the option again.

Hope Apple sees this and the hundreds of others who complain this issue, and the relatively simple solution provided by chrisfromguildford in that thread.

Similar questions

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2022 6:58 AM in response to el huero

The only solution to this replicable bug is, disable "mail" in "iCloud Drive" > Options.

Create, rename, delete and edit your smart (lol, this is ironic. lets call them "unintelligent" mailboxes).

This will work just fine.

Now, it seems after that you can re-enable the option, however doing so will make the bug come back, so while all your changes will persist, you won't be able to do further changes without first disabling the option again.

Hope Apple sees this and the hundreds of others who complain this issue, and the relatively simple solution provided by chrisfromguildford in that thread.

May 5, 2022 5:05 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I think it is obvious that indeed thousands of users do have this exact issue. Just look at the forum here for that same issue.

I did try the same on another machine, different build, same OS, and guess what. No, it is not working there either (just like thousands of other users here report since years.

1. I did run on safe mode. Precise same issue is happening (and it does not surprise me at all. It never was any better, just that I literally start to lose patience with the high end luxury tools that do not work).
  2. I did google, find what is and then run "Etrecheck"

I mean, funny that I need to install and allow an untrusted, "from the web" application on a 4000 USD device to detect errors, isn't it.

Report is attached, and it does not indicate any thing related to this issue. Funny as well that Avira pops up as an unsafe file LOL - an app that can be downloaded from the Appstore...

May 5, 2022 5:16 AM in response to el huero

Can you point to one thread where this is discussed? I frequent this forum daily and I had never heard of this before.

"Untrusted"? It is a signed application by a very respected member of this community.

It has helped people here hundreds of times, by giving enough information to look for problems.

On the other hand, you seem to trust avira...

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

I am thinking that something in your ~/Library/Containers/Mail is corrupted.

I don't dare to mess with those things, lest something goes awry (more than it is already, that is).

Are your accounts IMAP, POP, or Exchange?

If all your stuff is in IMAP and Exchange accounts, I would delete and recreate these accounts.

Before embarking on such a journey, though, you may want to do a short test by creating a new user, adding a mail account or two in that user, and seeing if the same problem also shows. I fully expect that it won't show in the new user. (Again, this is meant as a test and not a suggestion that you would need to move everything a new user!)

May 5, 2022 9:47 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

> Can you point to one thread where this is discussed? I frequent this forum daily and I had never heard of this before.

Perhaps just google it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/ev5mj5/macos_smart_mailbox_disappears_after_quitting_mail/

Mail smart mailboxes disappeared - Apple Community

Smart mailboxes always reset after restar… - Apple Community

> On the other hand, you seem to trust avira...

The person who wrote that article you linked to obviously has never used his computer for anything else but mails and WhatsApp.

I work in IT and for example, sometimes systems get hacked. They put backdoors into the servers. You try to download that, Mac won't warn you. Avira does.

The children's tale that mac is :just safe: was perhaps true 20 years ago, but it is not (anymore) and certainly is not, when you have more to do with your system than sending emails.

Note that Avira can be downloaded from the app store, while the Etrecheck I needed to google first, finding their site and downloading it, at which point it told me of course that it is my business if I trust it.

Try downloading it from the Mac app store please? "Not found"

---

I will be trying the new user today.

May 5, 2022 10:04 PM in response to el huero

Hey el huero!

Theres always a reason for software that won’t act as it is designed to.

From your description, I’d probably try these steps:

First, make sure they are all IMAP accounts, but even if not, keep a backup of your data, using Time Machine, you can also export your Mailboxes individually as another backup, especially for POP accounts or mailboxes on the “On My Mac” section:me

Import or export mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Next, Quit the Mail app.

Disable “Mail” for all accounts in System Preferences > Internet Accounts.

Next:

Open Finder, while holding Option on the keyboard, on the top menu, hit Go > Library.

In the ~/Library, open Containers.

Any files or folders that say “Mail” or “com.apple.mail”, select, on the top menu select File > New Folder (With Selection), then press Return.

Next, also in the ~/Library:

Open the Mail folder > V9 > Mail Data, delete any files starting with “Envelope Index”..

And finally, while one the ~/Library:

Open the Cache folder and delete anything regarding Mail or com.apple.mail.

Restart your Mac, while holding the Shift key, launch the Mail app.

If asked to continue, do so.

Next, enable Mail again for your accounts in System Preferences > Internet Accounts.

See if all is well again.

Note that by removing the Mail Containers, you WILL have to set up your preferences again, including signatures, as well as the format you have set, if different than the default. You can always change the format back, including what Mailboxes are shown or hidden, the text size, the layout, etc.

This is just a hunch, but has worked for me in similar situations, so hope that helps.

May 6, 2022 5:38 AM in response to el huero

More issues with the precise same symptoms:

Smart Mailboxes disappear in Mail after C… - Apple Community

There I found that these boxes should be in SmartMailboxesLocalProperties.plist.

I do have RW rights on that file, and, when I create new mail box, I can see how it updates the file and writes the new box to the file.

Contents will be for example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>A9E68351-8948-43D3-B0E9-FB61960B410F</key>
	<dict>
		<key>MailboxUnreadCount</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>MailboxUserInfo</key>
		<dict>
			<key>MailboxID</key>
			<string>A9E68351-8948-43D3-B0E9-FB61960B410F</string>
			<key>MailboxName</key>
			<string>My Smart Box Name</string>
		</dict>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

As soon I close the mail app, the content in that file stays the same. Once I reopen mail, the content of that file stays the same, BUT the box is not in the app, and TODAY reappears.

Once I reopen the file thou, I can see it rewrote it to the defaults.

So, given there are hundreds, if not thousands with the exact same issue (again, just google it please), and the behaviour described, it just seems there is a BUG that needs to get fixed. It cant be that so many users see the same issue without an underlying actual bug.

May 6, 2022 6:38 AM in response to el huero

This is the only that actually works.

Smart Mailboxes disappear in Mail after C… - Apple Community

This speaks for itself, I guess. Machine permissions or user issues my ***/ The issue is that the iCloud user (and that is why it works with another new user) is affected by this and only if the iCloud is configured to actually sync mail.

Another core, default and flagship product of Apple.

I wonder what exactly it syncs thou. What happens precisely when I disable that? Since it works, I assume a ton of other things break behind the scenes, like my mails not anymore synced to iPhone?

No idea, but I know one thing: as soon I unchecked that box(es) it works like a charm, and I bet my entire laptop on it that those steps would solve all other reports too (those "inexistent" reports, I mean)

May 5, 2022 4:33 AM in response to el huero

This is obviously not what millions of Mail users in Monterey experience.

Start by restarting in Safe Mode and doing a little test. Does the same thing happen in Safe Mode?

If the answer is no, then there is a software conflict with some third party system modification.

If the answer is yes, there is something corrupted - I don't know if it is a preference file, or a mailbox, or what.

Do tell us, and we can try to troubleshoot this further.

If the answer to the question above is "no", then

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

This will help us in trying to figure out what may be causing this.

May 5, 2022 6:11 AM in response to el huero

el huero wrote:

Basically, the only it can do is send and receive emails. WOW. At least it can do that, after all it's a mail app.
Do you need me to go to gMail as your concurrence and just use that? Is that really where it has come to, with 4000 USD expensive plastic computers labelled "best laptop ever built"?

This is a user-to-user forum. No one participating here has any vested interest in what email app you chose. And, Apple probably doesn't care that much, either. There are lots of other email applications out there if Mail doesn't meet your needs. Lots of people like Outlook because they are familiar with it from work but it's not the only option. Check the App Store.

May 5, 2022 9:44 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Of course they do not care.

But do you buy or use a FIAT radio device in a Maserati?!

If it comes with the "best OS ever made", gosh, I really do not understand how you folks can be OK with paying thousands and thousands of dollars for something that supposedly is an All In One, Works Perfect, best ever bla bla thing, when then you got to download what, perhaps outlook on it?

I really do not get that. I am using Mac since 12 years now, and while the first device, an Air, was an amazing, rocksolid tool and the OS on it was just working, the last 2 or 3 years we got only garbage, for more and more money. And of course, after 10 years you can't / won't just switch back to (linux/win) since you bought tools, apps and other things and are used to the Mac.

May 5, 2022 10:12 PM in response to DiZoE

Thanks will try that. Since there is no visual feedback as of the export is still running, but I can see "temp" folders still being created and changing to (same folder name but no temp) I guess it will take a while, I have a couple hundred thousand emails.

Will let it run a day or so and then check those steps.

Any reason I need to boot into safe mode to re-add my accounts? (Press shift key and ...)

May 5, 2022 11:34 PM in response to el huero

Hey again! No, apologize if I phrased it differently, I just meant, after the previous steps are done, to just launch the Mail app while holding the Shift key. All this does is try to prevent any previously open Mail windows from re-opening. Although in this case may not be totally necessary, I just thought I’d cover all bases. And especially if the issue does not appear in another user account, this should do the trick, otherwise you maybe looking at a user permissions issue. Cheers.

May 6, 2022 3:17 AM in response to DiZoE

As soon I reopened the mail app, it had no Smart Inboxes. Good. I set up a new Smart Inbox. I closed mail. As soon I reopened it, not only was new smart box not there, but "Today" was there. Just like it was before the entire operation.

There is to say, some of the steps did not go as outlined:

> Any files or folders that say “Mail” or “com.apple.mail”, select, on the top menu select File > New Folder (With Selection), then press Return.

This created a new folder, indeed, but inside that folder, instead of the 5 "Mail" folders that I had found and selected, some other folders where added. God knows why. I tried twice, twice same result. I select "Mail" and it puts some totally different folders into that new folder.

> Open the Cache folder and delete anything regarding Mail or com.apple.mail.

There was no such folder, but a folder named "Caches" (with an s). I opened that, there where no "Mail" related items inside.

So I just proceeded.

As I restarted, it asked me to import some messages on opening mail. I said ok. and there then I saw NO smart boxes (good) but as soon I added my own smart box, TODAY appeared, and mine was gone on restarting mail app.

I can't even rename that TODAY inbox. As soon I close, reopen, it is all as it was before.

May 6, 2022 3:33 AM in response to el huero

Hey again, sorry it’s being stubborn.

Di you have any Rules set up in Mail > Preferences > Rules that may cause any type of conflict?

Likewise, can you remove any Login Items found in System Preferences > Users and Groups, restart and test?

If no, or that doesn’t help, my next steps may be to repair the home folder permissions, as it appears to work okay in another user:

Quit all open apps.

Open System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy.

Scroll down to Full Disk Access.

Unlock the preference pane.

Click the “+” and add Terminal to the window, (Its located in Applications > Utilities).

Next open Terminal, copy then paste this command in the Terminal window and press Return afterwards:

diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`

Terminal will let you know when the process has finished, there is no time indicator, although it’s typically pretty quick.

When done, Quit Terminal and restart the computer and test.

Hope this helps, other suggestions welcomed!

Mac Mail App does not save new smart mail boxes, brings back deleted ones, and simply does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.