Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Catalina 10.15.7 Software update for IMac 27 (2012 model) Doesn't connect to Seagate 8TB backup

Mac Catalina 10.15.7 Software update for IMac 27 (2012 model) The current update allows the computer to recognize Seagate 8TB backup hard drive, but does not allow me to connect with the hard-drive to see my 800GB - 1 TB of photos. Happened 2x B4 with other updates. Any ideas besides updating computer? Apple support was able to help the two times before, this time was told to go to other sources. First two times Senior Support people went to hidden files in Applications/Utilities, made some changes and all was well. I am not computer wiz but am able to follow good instructions.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 5, 2022 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2022 7:31 AM

are using any of seagate's preloaded software on the drive that is supposed to make it "mac ready"? if yes, that could be the cause of your issue. when you use software from just about any manufacturer for their storage device you run the risk of that same software not being compatible with macOS updates / upgrades. it can cause the software to stop working. at best this will cause you a headache. at worst it can render your data inaccessible. it is always best to use disk utility to erase and format a drive before use to remove any preloaded software.

if you are using such software, i think your options are somewhat limited. 

you may want to contact seagate and see if there is an update for their software.

alternatively, if you have a backup you can revert your macOS to the version of catalina that the drive was working on and transfer your data to another storage device and then erase and format the seagate device before putting it back into service.

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2022 7:31 AM in response to Inquizitive1

are using any of seagate's preloaded software on the drive that is supposed to make it "mac ready"? if yes, that could be the cause of your issue. when you use software from just about any manufacturer for their storage device you run the risk of that same software not being compatible with macOS updates / upgrades. it can cause the software to stop working. at best this will cause you a headache. at worst it can render your data inaccessible. it is always best to use disk utility to erase and format a drive before use to remove any preloaded software.

if you are using such software, i think your options are somewhat limited. 

you may want to contact seagate and see if there is an update for their software.

alternatively, if you have a backup you can revert your macOS to the version of catalina that the drive was working on and transfer your data to another storage device and then erase and format the seagate device before putting it back into service.

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

May 5, 2022 7:53 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

Thank you for the thoughts. I went to the Seagate website earlier and found this: https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/

That allowed me to get connected to the External HD and see all the data, well until I shut the computer down and reopened the computer and then it was lost again..... and doesn't seem to want to allow me to connect to the drive again.

Love the upgrades!!

May 5, 2022 8:06 AM in response to Inquizitive1

well, since you could access the drive after visiting seagate's download page, if it was me i would go to that seagate link again and use the steps you tried to see if you can once again access the drive. if successful then don't restart the mac. you can then move the files from the seagate drive to another storage device. then use the links i provided in my previous reply to erase and reformat the seagate drive before putting it back into service.

Mac Catalina 10.15.7 Software update for IMac 27 (2012 model) Doesn't connect to Seagate 8TB backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.