Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto-start VPNs on iPad before connecting

Hello Community,

I'm wondering how once can start up installed VPNs before iPad actually exchanged any data over the internet, so that really everything only goes through the VPN.

What I found is this:

I usually need to start a VPN app manually and make it connect- it won't auto-start and auto-connect.

After a software update, iPad starts up with WiFi switched *on". Since this is preceeded by a software download, one cannot turn it off before. So iPad starts "naked" until I can start up a VPN.

What is the way to make sure iPad would *not* connect to the internet without a VPN (especially after a restart)?

PS: For all questions about why- it's basic security: You don't show your provider who/where you connect to because they can (or even have to?) record your activity. So VPNs make it at least more difficult for anyone to monitor you.

Posted on May 5, 2022 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2022 11:18 AM

Some VPN client Apps include a “Persistent Connection” option (sometimes known as a “kill switch”) that is intended to provide assurance that the VPN connection is established before permitting traffic from Apps.

The iOS/iPadOS native VPN setting, accessed from iPad settings, does not expose a persistent connection option. If you need access to this feature, you’ll need to identify a third-party VPN App that provides the capabilities that you require. Many also include the ability to set connection rules - allowing automatic use of VPN if certain conditions occur.

Be aware, however, that if your device uses DHCP to obtain an IP Address, the DHCP handshake can be inhibited - preventing the device from obtaining a valid IP Address for the host network; it such circumstances, it may be necessary to temporarily disable the VPN client until the DHCP handshake occurs - and a valid IP Address has been obtained - before re-enabling the VPN connection.

You also need to be aware that many VPN clients permit “split tunnelling”. Those that do permit spit-tunnel intentionally allow access to the local network while routing internet traffic via the VPN connection and the VPN provider’s VPN Gateway. Those clients that disallow split-tunnel will inhibit all access to local printers and other local network resources.

In summary, be careful to fully understand your VPN client and network connection before assuming that all your network traffic is protected by a VPN connection.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2022 11:18 AM in response to cook04

Some VPN client Apps include a “Persistent Connection” option (sometimes known as a “kill switch”) that is intended to provide assurance that the VPN connection is established before permitting traffic from Apps.

The iOS/iPadOS native VPN setting, accessed from iPad settings, does not expose a persistent connection option. If you need access to this feature, you’ll need to identify a third-party VPN App that provides the capabilities that you require. Many also include the ability to set connection rules - allowing automatic use of VPN if certain conditions occur.

Be aware, however, that if your device uses DHCP to obtain an IP Address, the DHCP handshake can be inhibited - preventing the device from obtaining a valid IP Address for the host network; it such circumstances, it may be necessary to temporarily disable the VPN client until the DHCP handshake occurs - and a valid IP Address has been obtained - before re-enabling the VPN connection.

You also need to be aware that many VPN clients permit “split tunnelling”. Those that do permit spit-tunnel intentionally allow access to the local network while routing internet traffic via the VPN connection and the VPN provider’s VPN Gateway. Those clients that disallow split-tunnel will inhibit all access to local printers and other local network resources.

In summary, be careful to fully understand your VPN client and network connection before assuming that all your network traffic is protected by a VPN connection.

May 5, 2022 11:37 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks.

Indeed some apps seem to manage the VPN from inside the app and override the iPad system settings.

Finding a good VPN is another big topic.

Android knows Orbot- I'm still waiting for an iOS equivalent, that'd be ideal.

Regarding split-tunneling: I've never managed to connect my printer to iPad unfortunately. On the other hand, if I can only connect to my NAS via WAN instead of LAN, I can confirm that traffic goes through the VPN.

So got something to work on now...

Auto-start VPNs on iPad before connecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.