Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When playing DVD through external Apple DVD player - screen grey but Audio okay

I have the same issue as Peter Jones4 posted in jun 5, 2016. I have followed reply for Eric Root by removing the plist files. But this didn't resolve the issue.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 16, 2022 9:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2022 9:32 PM

OzzieWoods Said:

"When playing DVD through external Apple DVD player - screen grey but Audio okay. I have the same issue as Peter Jones4 posted in jun 5, 2016. I have followed reply for Eric Root by removing the plist files. But this didn't resolve the issue."

-------

Provide the URL:

Is this the post?: DVD Player opens to gray screen -- audio is OK - Apple Community

What to Try:

Reinstall the macOS:

You may need to reinstall the macOS. Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support.

IMPORTANT:

Back Up, First: Prior to the reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to back up your Mac with Time Machine, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything happen after the reinstall. This may a few hours(if you have never made a backup and/or if you have lots stored on your internal hard drive), so be certain you have the time to do so.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2022 9:32 PM in response to OzzieWoods

OzzieWoods Said:

"When playing DVD through external Apple DVD player - screen grey but Audio okay. I have the same issue as Peter Jones4 posted in jun 5, 2016. I have followed reply for Eric Root by removing the plist files. But this didn't resolve the issue."

-------

Provide the URL:

Is this the post?: DVD Player opens to gray screen -- audio is OK - Apple Community

What to Try:

Reinstall the macOS:

You may need to reinstall the macOS. Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support.

IMPORTANT:

Back Up, First: Prior to the reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to back up your Mac with Time Machine, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything happen after the reinstall. This may a few hours(if you have never made a backup and/or if you have lots stored on your internal hard drive), so be certain you have the time to do so.

May 19, 2022 11:12 PM in response to OzzieWoods

OzzieWoods Said:

"When playing DVD through external Apple DVD player - screen grey but Audio okay.: I have now backed up and have reinstalled the latest MacOS (thank you for the helpful links explaining how to do this), but the problem still exists. When the DVD first starts there is a extremely brief (less than a split second) of the video visuals then it just returns to a grey screen, whilst the audio still plays. I've included a screen shot below.[...]"

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Thank you for the followup.

Piracy is the Culprit:

If you are recording this, then know that Apple is unwilling to allow for recording videos, and taking screenshots of it. That is why it is all greyed-out. Note that audio is not part of screen recording.

May 21, 2022 9:11 AM in response to OzzieWoods

OzzieWoods Said:

"When playing DVD through external Apple DVD player - screen grey but Audio okay.: I have no idea what you are saying as I’m not trying to record the DVD I’m trying to watch it on my Mac, I use my Mac whilst travelling and want to watch my DVDs whilst away from home.[...]"

-------

Piracy seems to have been the issue. That not being the case, a few thoughts to try...

A. Google These Forums:

Start with this Google search query: grey dvd player screen site:discussions.apple.com. About 964 results pop up for me. So, add more words and see what pops up.

B. Damaged DVD Player:

If you boot in Safe Mode, you might be able to fix the Apple Library's coding, if corrupt somehow. Go here to find out how to do so: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

C. Create a New Admin:

Try creating a new administrator, for temporary use. Do you still get this error? If not, then use that user for now. See here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Suppport

May 19, 2022 11:01 PM in response to TheLittles

I have now backed up and have reinstalled the latest MacOS (thank you for the helpful links explaining how to do this), but the problem still exists.

When the DVD first starts there is a extremely brief (less than a split second) of the video visuals then it just returns to a grey screen, whilst the audio still plays. I've included a screen shot below.

I've tried this on 2-3 different DVDs and still the same thing happens. At least one of the DVDS was a All regions.

Can you suggest some other solution to this problem?

Thank you

May 21, 2022 6:31 AM in response to TheLittles

I have no idea what you are saying as I’m not trying to record the DVD I’m trying to watch it on my Mac, I use my Mac whilst travelling and want to watch my DVDs whilst away from home.

If you mean that the screenshot is grey because Apple sees that the taking of a screenshot as trying to record the DVD therefore makes the screen gray, this is not relevant because the screen is gray prior to taking the screenshot.

I’ve watched videos via this external apple drive perfectly okay to date. The last time was in November last year. I haven’t watch a DVD since then until this week. The grey screen has only appeared this week.

When playing DVD through external Apple DVD player - screen grey but Audio okay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.