Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

‘Other System Data’ grows out of control

This is ruining my phone. Clearly some sort of bug introduced in the latest iOS release. Never happened before.

Nearly 40GB in a 64 GB phone.

Thing just keeps getting larger.

iPhone XR

Posted on May 16, 2022 10:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2022 10:58 PM

Maxpoweeer Said:

"‘Other System Data’ grows out of control: This is ruining my phone. Clearly some sort of bug introduced in the latest iOS release. Never happened before. Nearly 40GB in a 64 GB phone. Thing just keeps getting larger."

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Rid of "System Data" (Formerly Called "Other"):

Use my User Tip:  Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2022 10:58 PM in response to Maxpoweeer

Maxpoweeer Said:

"‘Other System Data’ grows out of control: This is ruining my phone. Clearly some sort of bug introduced in the latest iOS release. Never happened before. Nearly 40GB in a 64 GB phone. Thing just keeps getting larger."

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Rid of "System Data" (Formerly Called "Other"):

Use my User Tip:  Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

May 16, 2022 11:10 PM in response to Maxpoweeer

Maxpoweeer Said:

"Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I’m already running the latest version, 15.4.1, so that won’t do it. Ideally I’d like to avoid resetting the phone."

-------

Clearing "System Data"(Formerly called "Other"):

Clear the storage named "Other". It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time. My User Tip: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tip. Caches would be being used for remembrance of application use.

Jun 22, 2022 9:49 AM in response to BeautifulPacific

BeautifulPacific Said:

"Same problem here, with XR, 64 GB. Now done the second hard reset within three months. 5 days after the reset the other system data is back up to 24GB, growing daily. Not running videos, just listened to 1 podcast. What is wrong?"

-------

Set this Up Anew:

Being a consistent issue, something is misconfigured somehow. So, reset this to factory settings, as if you were to sell it. You'd backup all of you content through iCloud(i.e. enable Photos in iCloud settings) and make notes of what you have on your Home Screen, so you can add them back later. Do as instructed here, including the backup: What to do before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade In your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jun 24, 2022 12:39 AM in response to TheLittles

I've already backed up my content twice (locally) and completely reset my phone. Frankly I'm a bit tired of having to re-request special codes for secure health and financial apps for the third time within three months and set up the entire thing for the third time. Isn't there a way to find out which apps or part of the system contributes to this ever increasing data dump?

‘Other System Data’ grows out of control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.