Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple USB SuperDrive not working

I'm using macOS Monterey 12.3.1 and I have recently found that my Apple USB SuperDrive  CD burner is not showing up in my finder, nor does it work when I try to put a disk in the drive. I've restarted, run disk utility first aid as well as many other suggestions online. Anyone else having the same problem?

It's worked fine up until Monterey, and I want to know if there's a quick fix to get it to show up and work, or if it's dead?

It has always worked in the past (although I bought it in 2016 from an Apple Store) IS it possible that one of the OS upgrades (like Monterey) is preventing it from operating?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 20, 2022 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2022 4:35 PM

is the drive connected to the mac through a hub? or is it connected directly to the mac? since monterey, i have seen in some instances where, if connected through a hub, users are experiencing loss of functionality of their superdrive. (same for some 3rd party optical drives)

if it's connected direct, does it show up in About This Mac > System Report > Disc Burning?

if it's connected direct it should show up there even without a disc inserted.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2022 4:35 PM in response to orcamusic

is the drive connected to the mac through a hub? or is it connected directly to the mac? since monterey, i have seen in some instances where, if connected through a hub, users are experiencing loss of functionality of their superdrive. (same for some 3rd party optical drives)

if it's connected direct, does it show up in About This Mac > System Report > Disc Burning?

if it's connected direct it should show up there even without a disc inserted.

May 21, 2022 3:00 AM in response to orcamusic

To add to the very good advice of @jefferythefrog above.

Hubs have a Chip Set inside of them and since Monterey - many uses are having issues with Hubs for various External Usages.

It is more a hit or miss as to the Hub working to not.

Best results are achieved by a Direct connection to Computer

An Aside - " I'm using macOS Monterey 12.3.1

Current Monterey as of May 16, 2022 is version 12.4

Apple USB SuperDrive not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.