Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil

My iPad stopped properly recognizing my Apple Pencil this morning. I have looked at several sites for solutions, and all tend to suggest the same things. I have: 1. rebooted the iPad, 2. turned Bluetooth on/off, 3. taken off the nib/cleaned/reattached, 4. tried a new nib, plus a few other things. When I place the Pencil in its holder, my iPad indicate that the Pencil is there, but it does not connect and does not show if the Pencil is charged or not.

I have had both for almost a year, and this is the first problem I've had with connectivity. Any suggestions for? Thanks!

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 20, 2022 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2022 8:25 PM

jamcam01 Said:

"Apple Pencil: My iPad stopped properly recognizing my Apple Pencil this morning. I have looked at several sites for solutions, and all tend to suggest the same things.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Apple Pencils:

Use these Links:

Syncing is off, or perhaps it is no longer being seen as a trusted device. So, refer to the following...

Verify: the compatibility of your iPad and Apple Pencil

View: If your Apple Pencil won't pair with your iPad

Make Sure: that Bluetooth is enabled

Be Certain: there is power to your Apple Pencil

Successfully Pair: and charge your 2nd Generation Apple Pencil

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2022 8:25 PM in response to jamcam01

jamcam01 Said:

"Apple Pencil: My iPad stopped properly recognizing my Apple Pencil this morning. I have looked at several sites for solutions, and all tend to suggest the same things.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Apple Pencils:

Use these Links:

Syncing is off, or perhaps it is no longer being seen as a trusted device. So, refer to the following...

Verify: the compatibility of your iPad and Apple Pencil

View: If your Apple Pencil won't pair with your iPad

Make Sure: that Bluetooth is enabled

Be Certain: there is power to your Apple Pencil

Successfully Pair: and charge your 2nd Generation Apple Pencil

May 21, 2022 1:50 AM in response to jamcam01

Your Apple Pencil is exhibiting symptoms of a dead battery - that will not accept or hold any charge.

Here is one of the better troubleshooting guides for the Apple Pencil - that may be helpful in working through common issues.

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

I hope this information proves to be helpful in both diagnosing and resolving the problem.

Apple Pencil

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.