Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

catalina update killed my mid-2012 MBPs

Hi,

I've got 2 mid 2012 MBPs. Upgraded with internal SSD etc and have been running great for years. Use them for FCPX and Logic. No performance issues at all until some point in April when they both became unusable.

They have been running on Catalina since that came out so I assume it was one of the latest 'security updates' that killed them. Now opening apps takes for ever and chrome struggles to connect to the internet etc.

As it happened to both machines at the same time, I'm assuming it's an update issue rather than a hardware issue. I've tried all the usual fixes including reinstalling a fresh catalina and nothing works. The only working system backup I have is an old high sierra one which seems stable.

Cheers,

Pete

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 22, 2022 1:58 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

May 23, 2022 10:52 AM in response to 111Pete111

You don't believe the issue is hardware related, but I recommend that you run an EtreCheck evaluation of your Mac. EtreCheck is a safe and recommended utility from a trusted developer and respected ASC contributor. The diagnostic app gathers important info about your hardware and software and reports it back to you. It is very highly regarded and meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help others help you troubleshoot and resolve your Mac problems.

Please navigate to EtreCheck.com and download the free version. Be sure to enable full disk access when you install the app. Once you’ve run the app and created your report please post it with your reply to this message. 

You must upload the full report. To see how, please click >  How to use Add Text when posting… EtreCheck Report.

We can use the EtreCheck report to look for the more obvious things that may be causing your problem and advise how to correct them.

And if there is nothing concerning in the report(s) generated, then no harm done and you will have eliminated the hardware as a potential culprit.

May 23, 2022 5:15 PM in response to 111Pete111

As for the EtreCheck report there is a possibility of malware associated with the Teams app as shown here, so you may want to run MalwareBytes to see if this has been infected with malware:

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.teams.TeamsUpdaterDaemon.plist
Executable: /Applications/Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/TeamsUpdaterDaemon.xpc/Contents/MacOS/TeamsUpdaterDaemon
Details: Restrictive config permissions - possibly malware

Uninstall Adobe Flash since it is no longer supported on any platform and is very vulnerable to exploits which can be used to compromise a computer.

What is the make & model of the memory upgrade? Also, how long have you had the memory upgrade installed?

You should check the health of the hard drive using DriveDx. A failing hard drive can very easily affect the performance of the laptop even when booted to the internal SSD. Any "Warning" or "Failing" items indicate a worn out or failing drive respectively. Depending how you are utilizing the hard drive it may be possible to ignore the "Warnings" depending on which health attributes are affected and how far over spec they are. You may want to check the SSD as well and post the complete DriveDx text report for the SSD here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. Unfortunately drive health monitoring apps don't always correctly interpret the health of an SSD.

Did you replace the internal hard drive SATA Cable when you installed the SSD? This cable tends to fail especially when using an SSD (especially booting from an SSD). You can remove the SSD and connect it externally using a USB to SATA Adapter, drive dock, or enclosure to see how the laptop performs when booting the SSD externally. Just make sure they are USB3 so you can get the full speed of the SSD. If this works, then either the internal cable is bad, or the SSD has a compatibility issue with this laptop.

Run Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container on the SSD. You may need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok" click "Show Details" to see if any unfixed errors are listed in the report. If there are any unfixed errors listed, then run First Aid from Internet Recovery Mode, otherwise you will need to erase the whole physical drive and restore from a backup.

When you are using the laptop for your normal workloads check the memory utilization using Activity Monitor. See if the Memory Pressure is yellow or red which indicates a memory issue (especially if red). Also monitor the amount of "Compressed" memory and "Swap Outs". If these items are in the GB range, then it may indicate a low memory issue as well which can result in performance issues. This information in the EtreCheck report is inconclusive since the laptop had only been booted for about an hour and likely had not experienced a normal workload. Maybe the macOS update has affected the compatibility of one of your regular apps. Make sure all your third party apps are fully up to date.

Make sure to disconnect all external devices in case one of them is interfering which is a real possibility after an OS update.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see how it works? Safe Mode disables a lot of third party apps from automatically launching during boot so some devices may not work. Safe Mode also disable some built-in Apple hardware such as the Camera or only providing a very basic video driver which may cause the display to flash or flicker due to not being able to update the screen quickly enough.

You have the 15" model which may even potentially have a bad GPU. Many of the 2008 - 2011 models of the 15" MBPros are known to have GPU issues, but even some later models are known to have some issues at times like the 2013 model. Unfortunately the GPU issue can not easily be detected since many of those GPU failures may not show up with video glitches and usually won't show up in the diagnostics.

May 22, 2022 2:58 PM in response to 111Pete111

I received a really helpful answer to this saying that security update 2022 003 is the issue as it causes problems with certificates. The solution suggested was to find someone with an Catalina installer from before this update. Does anyone know where I might be able to get one from? I don't know anyone else still running Catalina as they all have newer Macs than my beloved dinosaur 2012's although he suggested that Apple may release a fix at some point.

(Also, the answer appears to have been deleted so not sure what the issue there is but many thanks to the person who replied)

May 23, 2022 10:42 AM in response to 111Pete111

You can try to see if the command line utility "softwareupdate" utility allows you access to an earlier point release of macOS 10.15.x. Sometimes it will allow you access, and other times it will only provide the most recent version.

softwareupdate  --list-full-installers

If it does show earlier point releases, then you can download it with the following command making sure to replace the "X" with the one of the proper version numbers listed:

softwareupdate  -d  --fetch-full-installer  --full-installer-version  10.15.X

https://osxdaily.com/2020/04/13/how-download-full-macos-installer-terminal/

May 23, 2022 1:14 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks. I tried to list the full installers but just got an unrecognized option error. Apologies, probably using the wrong syntax or something. I'm not very experienced with Terminal:

pete@Petes-da-MBP ~ % softwareupdate --list-full-installers

softwareupdate: unrecognized option `--list-full-installers'

usage: softwareupdate <cmd> [<args> ...]

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

May 23, 2022 1:50 PM in response to 111Pete111

Quick review here on only some of the obvious issues.

Will step back for D.I Johnson, who suggested using Etrecheck, to dissect Full Report and offer suggestions and possible solutions.

1 - Automatic updates disabled - Automatic updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

2 - Security updates disabled - Security updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

3 - System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background

4 - Kernel boot arguments - This computer has custom kernel boot arguments.

5 - Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 914

6 - disk0 - APPLE HDD HTS547550A9E384 500.11 GB (Mechanical - 5400 RPM)

7 - 499.90 GB (Shared - 449.48 GB used, 35.82 GB available, 34.11 GB free)

8 - Boot args: -no_compat_check

May 23, 2022 4:17 PM in response to 111Pete111

I see your EtreCheck report. Apparently quite a few issues are identified.

As a point of discussion, I am replying to this thread from my MBP mid-2012 running Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1922) fully updated and I have experienced no issues whatsoever.

P. Phillips has already touched many of the items noted in your report.

1 & 2 - You've disabled the automatic updates, but I don't believe the Mac's performance was compromised by these updates. I believe you'd do well to reenable these features.

3 & 4 - System mods and custom kernal boot arguments. Not sure why these would be necessary. Can you do without?

To my eye, the following are critical contributors to your Mac's poor performance:

6 - 5400 rpm mechanical drive

Since this drive is still connected to the communication bus it's important that it is performing well. Run Disk Utility First Aid to confirm that. Better yet, take a look at DriveDX for a more through evaluation of the drive. Any drive that may be failing should be disconnected from the computer to avoid problems with data transfer. A ten year old drive must be suspected of failure.

7 - 34.11 GB free space on your SSD startup drive appears critically low and likely to be an issue here. It's considered best practice to keep ~20% of the drive capacity available to keep macOS happy. The read/write speeds (527/425) are fine, but the free space is very low. If it gets too low the Mac may refuse to boot.

To P. Phillips' list I'll add...

9 - Security Risk! - Adobe Flash Player installed! Flash Player is famously problematic on Mac, from both security and performance standpoints. It is no longer supported and should be removed.

Please see > Uninstall Flash Play for Mac OS - Adobe

10 - Only 8GB RAM onboard. Bare minimum by today's software standards. Google Chrome is a known resource hog, so best to keep the tabs number low when using it. Quit that app rather than allow it to idle in the background.

I really don't think the OS updates are the cause of your issue, per se. I think performance was already marginal, and only coincidentally nosedived.

You might consider ensuring a current backup and then wiping the startup drive and reinstalling macOS. If I were in your position that would probably be my choice. Then only reinstall those apps that you need and use.

May 23, 2022 5:14 PM in response to 111Pete111

111Pete111 wrote:

Thanks. I tried to list the full installers but just got an unrecognized option error. Apologies, probably using the wrong syntax or something. I'm not very experienced with Terminal:

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Apparently you did nothing wrong. It seems the option to "--list-full-installers" was not available with Catalina, but was introduced in Big Sur according to this article even though the article I previously reference implied it was an option with Catalina:

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2021/03/03/listing-the-full-os-installers-available-from-apples-software-update-feed-on-macos-big-sur/

I guess you could try using the "softwareupdate" command to download a point release to see if it will download the point release. From the article I just posted, it seems we need to give the "softwareupdate" command admin privileges to run by prepending the command with "sudo". So to attempt to download macOS 10.15.6 use the following command:

sudo  softwareupdate  -d  --fetch-full-installer  --full-installer-version  10.15.6

This command will prompt you for your admin password. Nothing will appear on the screen as you type the password. Press the "Return" key to submit the password. If it doesn't work, then you should try the most recent version which should be 10.15.7.

Jun 1, 2022 2:16 AM in response to HWTech

Many thanks to all of you that contributed to this and apologies for the delay replying. After trying all the solutions offered, I found that I was able to solve the problem by turning off my WIFI router and doing fresh installs of Catalina on each machine. It seems that the updates were being installed automatically which would always result in the problems coming back even on the fresh machines. Now both of the laptops are running great again. I have disabled flash and freed up some drive space as recommended.

I couldn't find any errors on any of the disks (using drive DX) and booting into safe mode also had no effect. As everything is working well now, I'll quit while I'm ahead but will try to update one of the machines at a later date (once it's backed up) to see if the newest security update doesn't cause the same issues.

Thanks again!

catalina update killed my mid-2012 MBPs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.