Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gen 2 AppleTV 4K SLOW 5.0 Ghz

I just bought an Gen 2 AppleTV 4K and it the speed when it connects to my 5.0 Ghz WiFi (only 25 feet from my UNiFi w/ WiFi 6 and no walls between them) is often less than 1Mbps (according to Ookla Speedtest). If I connect to the 2.4 Ghz WiFi, it'll pull 20-60 Mbps. I did do the software update and it fixed it, I was pulling over 200 Mbps for about half an hour and then stuff started to bugger and when I checked my speed again, it was back to less than 1.0 Mbps.

I put my iPhone 12 Max next to my AppleTV and will pull over 100 Mbps. In fact, I can go out the door and pull over 100 Mbps on my phone on the patio just outside the door from where my AppleTV 4K Gen 2 is. Is this just the product or did I get a faulty one..?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on May 22, 2022 6:37 PM

5 replies

May 23, 2022 5:21 AM in response to VoodooArtStudio

Possibly you experience interference on your home network, causing overload on the remaining diminished bandwidth.

Restarting your router may automatically select new optimized Wi-Fi channels with less interference from neighboring networks, if set to automatically select the best channels (once at boot time). Or manually find channels for both bands in a relatively empty zone for your router configuration. Interference may be very localized, and can change from mild to severe between rooms.

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

If your Apple TV can't connect to Wi-Fi - Apple Support

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

May 26, 2022 3:47 PM in response to VoodooArtStudio

It is the ONLY DEVICE on its dedicated WiFi 5.0 Ghz channel and other devices on another 5.0 Ghz channel can pull over 100 Mbps from right next to the Apple TV, and even outside on the nearby patio.

Well that’s confusing, two 5 GHz channels in use. Not sure what ‘advanced’ router you have, but mine has one 5 GHz channel set (out of 16 options) and one 2.4 GHz channel set (out of 13 options); both channels selected for minimal overlap from other nearby networks (neighbors etc). All devices have to connect to either one of these two channels on different bands. No need for dedicated anything, as the bandwidth plan with your ISP is divided for all devices as they use it, and your home network would (should) have bandwidth to spare compared to that. The plan with the ISP, and their infrastructure (can they deliver what they ‘promise’), is usually the real bottleneck.

May 23, 2022 5:53 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I restarted the router and got .01 Mbps download and 56.something on the upload on the 5.0 Ghz bandwith. I then switched it to the 2.4 Ghz bandwith and got 84 & 86 Mbps on the upload and download. I don't think interference is the issue, especially when my iPhone 12 Pro Max, on 5.0 Ghz, is getting 211 and 69.2 Mbps on the download and upload. I think it has something to do with the AppleTV 4K itself.

May 26, 2022 3:11 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I did, and it worked like a charm for 2 days. Then it went back to .01 Mbps. I checked for a software update and there was one, so I updated the software. That seemed to fix it - but then a day later the same thing. I restarted the Apple TV and it worked again for a day, and then it crapped out again. Checked, and there was another software update, so I updated it. It worked again for about a day, then I had to restart the Apple TV to get it to go from .01 Mbps to nearly 200 Mbps. Then it went back to .01 after a minute or two... restarted it, and the same thing happened. It immediately pulled 200 Mbps and then within 5 minutes it was pulling around .01 Mbps. It is the ONLY DEVICE on its dedicated WiFi 5.0 Ghz channel and other devices on another 5.0 Ghz channel can pull over 100 Mbps from right next to the Apple TV, and even outside on the nearby patio.

I'm returning it. I LOVE Apple products, but this is crap.

Gen 2 AppleTV 4K SLOW 5.0 Ghz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.