Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad built-in onscreen keyboard sometimes doesn’t recognize pressed keys

I find this most common with the letter t but have had this issue with other letters as well. The top row especially. My problem arises when I strike the desired key. I realize sometimes I’m maybe typing too quickly and slow down. I watch for each individual key to show that it’s been pressed so I know I typed/pressed every correct letter but it does not show. The word, that, for instance. I type T-H-A-T and see each key being depressed but onscreen shows “ha” or something similar.

Just to help provide an example, I’m going to try typing the above paragraph again, word for word, letter for letter, only this time, I’m not going to correct anything or tap a letter several times until it works.

i find his most cmmon wih the letter t but have had this issue wi other letters as well. Th top o especially. My poblem arises when I strike e desired key. I realize someimes I’m mayb tpg too quckl an slow down. I wached o each indivdual key to show that it’s ben pressed so I know I ypd/pssed ever correct lette but it does no show. The wod, that, or instace. I type T-H-A-T and see each ke beig depssed but onscren shows “ha” o something similar.

I realize autocorrect can correct a good portion of this and it did try, but to best demonstrate the issue, I didn’t allow it to correct a single thing. I’m on an iPad Air 2 with iOS 15.5. I’ve tried soft and hard resets. I’ve removed and cleaned the case. I played with keyboard settings like key flicks and slide to type(enabled and disabled). Nothing seems to work and I’m at a loss and ready to chuck this **** tablet into a wall if it doesn’t stop.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on May 22, 2022 10:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2022 6:40 AM

Hello Havenok,

Try isolating by testing another keyboard in the same language. For example, if you normally use the English (US) keyboard, you could use the English (Canada) or English (UK) and see if the same happens there. If needed, check out Add or change keyboards on iPad - Apple Support for steps.

Also, test in multiple apps like Notes, Messages, etc. to see where exactly this occurs. If it happens in multiple apps and does not seem to be isolated to a keyboard, it may be best to contact Apple Support. You can reach out from Get Support or using the direct phone number for your region from Contact Apple for support and service.

Take care.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2022 6:40 AM in response to Havenok

Hello Havenok,

Try isolating by testing another keyboard in the same language. For example, if you normally use the English (US) keyboard, you could use the English (Canada) or English (UK) and see if the same happens there. If needed, check out Add or change keyboards on iPad - Apple Support for steps.

Also, test in multiple apps like Notes, Messages, etc. to see where exactly this occurs. If it happens in multiple apps and does not seem to be isolated to a keyboard, it may be best to contact Apple Support. You can reach out from Get Support or using the direct phone number for your region from Contact Apple for support and service.

Take care.

May 24, 2022 7:14 AM in response to Havenok

Hi Havenok,

Thanks for contacting Apple Support Communities!

We understand that your on-screen keyboard doesn't consistently respond as you'd expect it to.

Does this happen in a specific app or all apps?

If it's happening in all apps that use the keyboard, check out the troubleshooting steps outlined here to help isolate this behavior further: If the screen isn't working on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

iPad built-in onscreen keyboard sometimes doesn’t recognize pressed keys

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.