Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inconsistent articulations?

I've been playing with articulations on and off for about the past year or so; don't recall when I started, but likely after Logic Pro 10.7.1 became available. To (attempt to) "keep a long story short", I've used the "Ah", "Uu", "Oo", and "Mm" articulations for some of the Orchestral > Choir voices in the past, and they seemed to work fine; I just selected the notes I wanted the articulation applied to, changed it, and... *poof* ...done/works first time, as I'd expect.

More recently (don't recall as of which version, but currently having issues with this in 10.7.4), that behavior doesn't appear to be consistent anymore - and even some of the inconsistent behavior is further inconsistent. Yes, I know that sounds redundant, but here's what I mean (and yes, I've gone through the standard support checklist; restarted the Mac, etc.).

1. If I create a new project, add a Software Instrument track, and add Orchestral > Choir > Boys Chamber Ensemble, create a MIDI region, add a note, and then change the articulation from one to another, playing that note plays the corresponding articulation as expected. If I then use the Library browser to change to another voice that I *think* should have articulation (e.g. Classical Female Swells, path: Legacy/Logic/10 Orchestral/9 Choir/Chamber Female Swells), the same articulation set is present, but none of them work. If I then change *back* to Boys Chamber Ensemble, it isn't working for that anymore, either - I have to create a new track and start over. Granted, perhaps some (most? all?) may not have articulation if that wasn't a feature "in the before times", but switching back to one that *does* should properly re-apply all applicable attributes, eh?
  2. Some tracks/regions/sounds will show the above articulation list, but have no effect... unless there's a modulation event preceding the affected note, in which case I'll get a different articulation that the standard "Ah" (typically the one for "Oo"), whether that's what I intended or not. Changing the articulation setting for the note won't make a different, but moving the modulation event to *follow* the affected note will at least stop the unintended articulation change.
  3. Thinking this might be a "workaround" for some instances, I've tried to explicitly/manually insert modulation before/during/after a note to force it to change articulation - sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't, so not an effective workaround, but also inconsistent.

Need someone from Apple to review/investigate this and correct the behavior in Logic Pro so that it's always consistent. If that means that I can't (ever) use articulation with sounds not intended to be used with that feature, that's fine. But rather that than having to manually manipulate events - especially to remove unintended/unwanted articulation.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 24, 2022 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 7:10 AM

Hey there, you'd have a better chance of reaching Apple folks by using this form / page: Feedback - Logic Pro – Apple

Similar questions

2 replies

Inconsistent articulations?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.