Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV Color Calibration Not Working

When the color calibration feature was first introduced, I used it and calibrated my TV. It looked great, too. But I recently tried to calibrate it to make sure it was still correct, and it fails. I have re-tried at least 30 times using varying distances from the TV, different positions in the rectangle, different colors in the TV menu, etc. Nothing helps. What am I doing wrong?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on May 24, 2022 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 8:59 AM

@Urquhart1244

Yes, same device I did this on before, currently on iPhone 12 Pro Max on 15.5. Same AppleTV I had previously set it up on. Same TV. I verified the TV settings several times. I cleaned off the spot where the front-facing camera is (selfies still look crisp). I have tried every mode on the TV, nothing. It continually fails halfway through.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2022 8:59 AM in response to MEATLIFTER

@Urquhart1244

Yes, same device I did this on before, currently on iPhone 12 Pro Max on 15.5. Same AppleTV I had previously set it up on. Same TV. I verified the TV settings several times. I cleaned off the spot where the front-facing camera is (selfies still look crisp). I have tried every mode on the TV, nothing. It continually fails halfway through.

May 24, 2022 7:34 AM in response to MEATLIFTER

Are you using an iPhone with iOS 14.5 or later and Face ID functionality? (You should.)

Do the Apple TV and iPhone use the same Apple ID for iCloud services? If not signed in for iCloud services on either device, then it will not work. You can’t use someone else’s iPhone for this.

Set your Apple TV to SDR while calibrating for best results.

Set your TV to Cinema mode for best results.

Calibrate video or audio - Adjust video and audio settings on Apple TV - Apple Support

I just tested again on my setup, and it worked as advertised.

Calibration would stay the same as a year ago, unless your TV somehow degraded unevenly for select colors. Not sure if that is even possible with LED technology.

May 24, 2022 9:19 AM in response to MEATLIFTER

It continually fails halfway through.

It starts as expected then? You do get the notification on the iPhone to start the procedure?

I did hold the iPhone about 0.5" (1 cm) from the screen, as steady as I could, centered on the rectangle representing the iPhone on screen. I think it is okay to hold it a bit lower, as the sensors on the iPhone are in the notch at the top of the iPhone.

Else try again with a darkened room, to rule out other light sources interfering.

If this issue persists, then I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

AppleTV Color Calibration Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.