Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong, random photo is default in my Messages app and I can't get rid of it.

So randomly, I picked up my phone today to read a message, and a group photo of two friends is at the top of my Messages app and I can't get rid of it! I followed some advice here recommending accessing Contacts via Settings, and scrolling down to My Info did show one of the friends' names listed there instead of mine. Clicking on My Info brought up my Contacts list, and if I type in HER name it shows her name under My Info. If I click on that, it brings up my Contacts list again. If I type in MY name, it shows MY name under My Info. I hit Cancel since that's correct, but when I go back into my Messages app, she and my other friend's pictures are still there. Gah! How do I fix this? I reinstalled Software Version 15.5 (19F77), rebooted, did a hard reset, and it's still there. I didn't try HIS contact info because it didn't show up under My Info. Thanks in advance, if anyone's out there.

iPhone 8

Posted on May 26, 2022 1:12 PM

6 replies

May 27, 2022 12:30 PM in response to HalfFull

Salutations HalfFull, 

If you follow the steps below to change the name and photo being shared via Messages, what happens? Send and receive text messages on iPhone

Share your name and photo

In Messages, you can share your name and photo when you start or respond to a new message. Your photo can be a Memoji, or custom image. When you open Messages for the first time, follow the instructions on your iPhone to choose your name and photo.

To change your name, photo, or sharing options, open Messages, tap the ellipsis, tap Edit Name and Photo, then do any of the following:
• Change your profile image: Tap Edit, then choose an option.
• Change your name: Tap the text fields where your name appears.
• Turn sharing on or off: Tap the button next to Name and Photo Sharing (green indicates that it’s on).
• Change who can see your profile: Tap an option below Share Automatically (Name and Photo Sharing must be turned on).

Your Messages name and photo can also be used for your Apple ID and My Card in Contacts.

In Settings > Contacts > My Info, is your contact card chosen here? 

Thanks. 

May 28, 2022 6:35 AM in response to HalfFull

Thanks for letting us know, HalfFull,

Do you have any pinned messages? If you have pinned messages, it will show your contact's photo at the top of Messages. This article explains what pinned messages are and shows you an example of what it looks like: Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If it isn't pinned messages that you're seeing, we would suggest that you contact Apple directly to investigate this further with you. You can reach them here: Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Cheers!

May 27, 2022 5:17 PM in response to HalfFull

Hello HalfFull,

After performing the suggested actions, did you happen to restart your iPhone? Also, if you start a new message thread with these contacts does that correct the issue?

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Delete messages on iPhone

Please note, that to start a new message thread, you would have to delete the existing one and if you're using Messages in iCloud, you won't be able to recover the thread.

Best regards.

May 27, 2022 5:10 PM in response to AnnieL2

I followed all of the steps you outlined. I chose a new picture (just in case) and fixed my name. Name and Photo Sharing was already on (green), and I left Contacts Only checked, then clicked Done. When I go back to my Messages app, it still has my two friends' names and pictures. My Contacts card under Settings has my correct name. Thanks. Any other ideas?

May 27, 2022 7:21 PM in response to Missy5937

I did restart my phone two or three times throughout this process, including after following your suggestions. It did not correct the issue. Starting a new thread does not help because my friends' pictures and names are by themselves at the top of the screen, like the default, and then my messages under that. I think it's just some random glitch on Apple's part. I have read where other users have had this problem. I'd just hoped it would be easier to fix. Thanks.

Wrong, random photo is default in my Messages app and I can't get rid of it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.