Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add "Search" magnifying glass to the menubar?

For as long as I remember, there was a little magnifying glass in the upper right side of the menubar. It was easy to use the search function for the whole computer by clicking this icon.

Now, if you use a command-F within an app, it will only search within that app. I don't want to have to switch back to the finder to use command-F. It was easier to click on the icon.

Is there a way to add this back?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 30, 2022 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2022 11:24 AM

It does not do anything on my computer...

I was able to go into the Keyboard preferences and found a place I could enable it, but it's certainly not on by default. It's not under the "Spotlight" section in the preferences, which is where I would expect to find it.

Many thanks for the suggestion...it helped me find it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2022 11:24 AM in response to dialabrain

It does not do anything on my computer...

I was able to go into the Keyboard preferences and found a place I could enable it, but it's certainly not on by default. It's not under the "Spotlight" section in the preferences, which is where I would expect to find it.

Many thanks for the suggestion...it helped me find it.

How to add "Search" magnifying glass to the menubar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.