Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad mini 6 need to reboot in order to charge it

ipad mini 6 needs to reboot in order to charge it now(sometimes reboot once, and sometimes reboot more than once is needed). Used to be, just plug in, and it starts charging, but recently even when I plug in, it does not charge a bit at all (while I use the original plug and wire)

iPad mini 6, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 31, 2022 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 2:03 AM

USCJOE9939 wrote:

ipad mini 6 needs to reboot in order to charge it now(sometimes reboot once, and sometimes reboot more than once is needed). Used to be, just plug in, and it starts charging, but recently even when I plug in, it does not charge a bit at all (while I use the original plug and wire)

These support pages should help with troubleshooting battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Be aware that most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

If you continue to experience difficulties when using an appropriate Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2022 2:03 AM in response to USCJOE9939

USCJOE9939 wrote:

These support pages should help with troubleshooting battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Be aware that most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

If you continue to experience difficulties when using an appropriate Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

May 31, 2022 9:56 PM in response to USCJOE9939

USCJOE9939 Said:

"ipad mini 6 need to reboot in order to charge it: it does not charge a bit at all (while I use the original plug and wire)"

-------

For reference...

Troubleshooting iPad Charge:

A. Start Here: If your iPad won't Charge - Apple Support

B. Which Cables to Use: iPad Accessories - Power & Cables Power & Cables - Apple

C. Try what is on these Links:

D. Use an Apple Brand Cable:

Do not use a third party cable - cool though it may look, a fabric, third-part cable would likely tear - (Apple cable's are plastic and are intended for Apple).

E. About Battery Health:

Apple doesn't have Battery Health on an iPad. But, for note, Apple recommends that you get a new battery on an iPhone once its Battery Health reaches 80%.

F. A Faulty Device?:

So, is this covered under warranty? Note that this comes with a one-year, out-of-the-box, limited-warranty. So, set up a Genius Bar Appointment, asking them if this a faulty device.

May 31, 2022 9:55 PM in response to USCJOE9939

USCJOE9939 Said:

"ipad mini 6 need to reboot in order to charge it: it does not charge a bit at all (while I use the original plug and wire): Well, I only have this iPad Mini 6 for about 6 months. Thus, the wire is still in great condition. To eliminate possible problem, I also tried with different wires and chargers(so many Apple products at home). Same problem persists though!"

-------

A Faulty Device, Perhaps?:

Note that this comes with a one-year, out-of-the-box, limited-warranty. So, set up a Genius Bar Appointment, asking them if this a faulty device

May 31, 2022 9:05 PM in response to USCJOE9939

USCJOE9939 Said:

"ipad mini 6 need to reboot in order to charge it: it does not charge a bit at all (while I use the original plug and wire)"

-------

A. Perhaps it is time for a new wire?

B. Go Apple-for-Apple:

On a personal note, and based off of personal experience, I'd go brand-for-brand(Apple-for-Apple) when it comes to a battery. Elsewise, it may be of error. Going brand-for-brand (Apple-for-Apple), you can have more trustworthiness on you device.

Jun 1, 2022 7:25 PM in response to LotusPilot

Truly appreciate so many people offering their suggestions.

I have been using only Apple original cables and chargers. As a matter of fact, I also bought an iPad Pro11" around the same time when I bought the Mini 6. So, I actually have two sets of original cables and chargers. I am pretty sure the problem of not charging should have nothing to do with those two items.

What remains will be either the hardware, or who knows what! I think only the Genius can provide further test in deeper level!

Again, I want to thank you all for offering your advices!

Jun 25, 2022 4:53 PM in response to USCJOE9939

Add me to this list.

Like others have stated in their experiences, my iPad mini 6 suddenly began having this "reboot to charge" issue after the latest iPad OS update. All hardware related possibilities have been eliminated via meticulous, rigorous troubleshooting and scientific method.

Hopefully they'll address it in the next OS update but they have to know there's an issue first, so it would benefit us to go "raise ****" to ensure they're aware of the issue and that a lot of people are affected despite what a quick google search manages to not dig up.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jun 25, 2022 9:07 PM in response to notoakie

Hi,

I'll update my fellow iPad Mini 6 users here.

I spoke to one of the Apple on-line support and followed her instruction to re-update Os 15.5 again. After this is done, the problem persists. So I decided to bring it to Apple Store to get inspected.

Before I brought it in, I wanted to back up this iPad Mini 6 to my PC using iTunes. During this process, I found out, not only it does not charge, but iTunes also does not recognize the connection until I re-boot iPad Mini 6 again!

I brought this iPad Mini 6 to the Apple store, and one of their technician diagnosed my unit with their gadget and declared everything is working properly. In addition, while there, I was able to plug in and charge without re-booting! I told the technician that this is inconclusive, and at the end he agreed to send it in for me to get Apple's service people to take a deeper look.

Two days later, I got an email from Apple Support. They told me the unit was inspected, and they will replace it and send it back to me in a few days!

I should receive it in a few days, and will update everyone here. Although I am super curious to find out what was wrong with my unit!

Jun 27, 2022 7:45 PM in response to USCJOE9939

The final episode, I hope!

I received my replacement iPad Mini 6 today. It appears brand new, and no problem with charging issue.

Apple service did not mention anything about the problem that I had with the old iPad Mini 6, or why they decided to replace it. For those of you who are experiencing similar problems, I suggest you to get in touch with Apple Support ASAP!

Hopefully that issue will not come back again!

ipad mini 6 need to reboot in order to charge it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.