Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini M1 slow charging using USB-A

Hey! I have a Mac Mini M1 and I usually charge my iPhone 11 using the USB-A port, because I have a lightning to usb-a cable. The power of the port should be 5V same as the power adapter, but I noticed that is slower to charge my iPhone using my Mac than using the power adapter and both have the same power, this is normal, it's due to an update or something else?

Mac mini, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 9:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 9:53 PM

Macs are complicated when it comes to the power available to the ports. The primary purpose of the ports is for data connection, but of course they also supply power. You should be able to see what available power there is "provisioned" for each device (when connected) in System Report under > About This Mac > System Report > Hardware > USB.

I have noticed that with my older MacBook Pro with two USB-A ports, if I connected two devices (like an iPad and an iPhone) the available current for each one might be reduced. I've also noticed that my work MBP (with Apple silicon) only provisions a maximum of 1500 mA, regardless of whether or not I use a USB-C to Lightning cable or an adapter/hub. I won't pretend to understand.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2022 9:53 PM in response to ArayaJ

Macs are complicated when it comes to the power available to the ports. The primary purpose of the ports is for data connection, but of course they also supply power. You should be able to see what available power there is "provisioned" for each device (when connected) in System Report under > About This Mac > System Report > Hardware > USB.

I have noticed that with my older MacBook Pro with two USB-A ports, if I connected two devices (like an iPad and an iPhone) the available current for each one might be reduced. I've also noticed that my work MBP (with Apple silicon) only provisions a maximum of 1500 mA, regardless of whether or not I use a USB-C to Lightning cable or an adapter/hub. I won't pretend to understand.

Mac Mini M1 slow charging using USB-A

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.