Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this the correct memory upgrade for my iMac?

I have a late 2015 iMac which is now running pretty slow and I need to speed things up. I went to Crucial.com which was recommended to me by staff in the Mac Store.

However, according to two different chat agents they are telling me different things. One of them said this was the one to buy and compatible with my iMac - and the other said they do not have any compatible memory for for iMac, and that it was not compatible. 🤔😕

https://uk.crucial.com/memory/ddr3/CT2K4G3S160BJM#rohs

I do not want to buy the wrong one and/or mess up my Mac, since I have zero knowledge about this type of thing!

Any help would be very much appreciated indeed. Is the one in the link fine to buy and will it speed up the performance?

Here is all the tech data from my iMac:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

3.3 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB

"Your Mac contains 4 memory slots, each of which accepts

a 1867 MHz DDR3 memory module.

2 memory slots in use, 2 available"

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 5:06 AM

13 replies

Jun 5, 2022 8:14 AM in response to Abstractman23

I see.

Is there are reason you stayed at 10.11? We found 10.13, a free upgrade, supported all our older apps. A Late 2015 will support the newest version of mac OS, but 10.13 will give you improved browser compatibility without losing any old apps that I know of.

See: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support for the official download link for High Sierra 10.13.

Without data I can ask three pertinent questions:

Is the computer slow to boot?

Are apps slow to launch?

Once launched, do those apps sewm to run OK?

Three "Yes" answers suggest the mech hard drive issues we discussed.

Do you have a mech-only drive, or a Fusion (hybrid) drive? Check "About this Mac..." > Storage tab or Disk Utility for drive type.

Jun 5, 2022 6:51 AM in response to Abstractman23

I have a late 2015 iMac which is now running pretty slow and I need to speed things up.

Based on long history here, there is a 95+% chance that adding RAM will change nothing in your current situation. Nearly all slow iMac complaints here turn out to be slow mechanical drives, not too-little RAM. Newer macOS versions appear optimized for fast solid-state drives (SSDs) The fastest roto hard drive transfer data and between 150 and 180MB/sec. The SLOWEST SSD option available to you will do 400MB/sc.

Before you nip off to spend money, let's make decisions based on data. We can see hard performance data for your current drive and RAM without compromising your security or privacy performance if you post a EtreCheck report. We can quickly and within the limited confines of these forums help you determine what issues are at play if you use EtreCheck Pro, available here:

https://etrecheck.com/index

The free version will do nicely for this purpose, although the app is worthy of our financial support.

Etrecheck is the development of a long-serving and trusted contributor here expressly for displaying information in these forums to help us help you. It will not reveal any personal or secure information.

Run it, select “Report" from the left-hand pane (scroll down to the bottom of that pane to find):

When its report displays, click the "Share Report" icon from EtreCheck’s toolbar and then "Copy report” from the resulting dropdown.

⚠️ Please DO NOT highlight the text in the report before using Etrecheck’s “Copy report” command—that will garble the formatting and make the report slower and harder to evaluate.

NOTE: Changes in late 2018 to the forum software require you use the “Additional Text" icon (see example below) to embed the report into a post:

Paste the report into the resulting “Additional Text” window:

BTW ,Crucial is the consumer outlet for Micron RAM. We have several Macs whose factor RAM was Micron.

Like Viling, I only trust Crucial or OWC.

Jun 5, 2022 7:00 AM in response to Allan Jones

Many thanks for the reply - much apprecaited. However I am unable to download this app in order to run the report.

So the RAM will not make any difference? That's a bit concerning to learn.

"You can’t use this version of the application “EtreCheckPro” with this version of OS X.

You have OS X 10.11.6. The application requires OS X 10.13 or later."

Jun 14, 2022 7:07 AM in response to Allan Jones

Many thanks for the reply. I have this: 2.12 TB Fusion Drive

143GB free of 2.11TB

I stayed on the OS I have and never wanted to update so that I could keep using my CS3 programs - which are more than fine for my needs. Updating the OS would mean they would no longer work, and then paying every month to Adobe to use their CC which I am not keen on doing.

Is the computer slow to boot?

I keep my iMac on all the time, and let it sleep overnight. So the answer is I don't really know.

Are apps slow to launch?

Not really. I guess it's normal over time for programs to take longer to open as the computer gets older.

I use InDesign, Photoshop, Photos, Google Chrome, and MacMail the most.

Once launched, do those apps sewm to run OK?

Programs run fine, although I can sense that the iMac is quite sluggish to respond at times.

Photos is the one that's really slow at the moment. That's become very sluggish in recent months. I have 115,000 photos in there. Whenever I try to drag a photo over into Photoshop to edit it, it takes forever to open. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts for it to even open in Photoshop.

Fingers crossed if i buy the RAM it will help speed up my computer, even if it's just a little bit.

Thanks agains for taking time to reply. Much appreciated.

Jun 14, 2022 8:04 AM in response to Abstractman23

As mentioned, just increasing the RAM is not going to speed things up for you. There are other things that are making it slow as well.

So, you really should shut it down every few days; the boot up process gets rid of a lot of unnecessary stuff.

Delete your browser history, cache, etc regularly.

Take a look at your System Preferences > User & Groups and delete everything in your login items.

If you installed any third party cleanup or AV software, uninstall it.

When you are done using an app, quit it (Command + Q) to make available those resources to other programs. Just closing the window still allows it to run in the background

If you have Google Chrome, try a different browser - it is a huge resource hog and will slow down other programs.

Is this the correct memory upgrade for my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.