Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kept receiving "A password reset request was sent from a device at the location shown below'

My iPhone 13 got stolen, and as expected, the thieves are phishing for my Apple ID credentials. I have safeguarded my account (changed password, activated 2FA) and do not click links from weird SMS messages. But now, I am receiving reset password notifications in my MacBook Pro:

I clicked it but I am not proceeding to reset my password because I think that is what the thief is expecting me to do. From Reddit, they said this is a legitimate push notification when they are trying to reset password via iforgot.apple.com.

https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/eh7enm/comment/fchfger/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

The only problem is why is it not showing a location? It would be nice if they have the location where the reset password is being requested. That way I can report it to the Police, and *hope* that my device will be returned.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2022 6:31 AM

Add me to the list that keeps getting this notification. Been going on for a week now and I have changed my password. The notice comes back within a few minutes of removing the previous notification. HELP please.

55 replies

Jul 13, 2022 1:32 AM in response to ahlrenzarqueza

I started getting this tonight (July 12) and even called apple support. It won't show where the person is trying to access my account from, it just automatically pops up with a change your password message. I've changed it, but I've gotten around 5 more attempts well into the night/early morning here. It's unnerving and though I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem, I'd like to know more about how this has just started happening in the past 24 hours to people. I'm sure there have to be more.

Jul 23, 2022 9:15 AM in response to marshallpa

So, I think you said something interesting @marshallpa -- "every time I log into my MacBook Pro." I'm getting this prompt every time I log into my Mini, but it is not showing up on my phone or my watch. This suggests to me that this is a MacOS bug, and not an actual phishing attempt to get credentials. Hopefully someone at Apple reviews these forums and they can implement a solution.

(unlike others, I do not get this continually -- only on logging in)

Jul 13, 2022 4:25 PM in response to RandyIsLorde

Did you change your login email or just your password? It's like some hackers have a data dump of emails of apple accounts. They won't be able to get into your system, but I imagine if you change your apple ID, rather than your password, these will stop, as it's your apple ID that they got from the data dump. Not matter what you change your password to, they'll still keep pinging the same apple ID.

Let me know if I'm wrong about this, and you did change your apple ID. then it seems something more sinister, like they have access somehow to realtime logs of apple IDs.

For the record I'm receiving this as well, but am not worried as yet. Like the OP though – I'd love it if there was a way to find out what the "location shown below" is, to see where the request is coming from. Anyone have any luck on figuring that out?

Jul 14, 2022 10:57 AM in response to nphrancis

It’s not, I reckon, the changing of the password that would make a difference, but the changing of the Apple ID. If your Apple ID is linked to an email that is in a database that has been leaked, regardless of what your password is they still have your ID to send these requests out.

I just ignore these notifications, but I’d be curious to know if anyone is still getting them after changing their Apple ID/email.

Jul 16, 2022 10:13 AM in response to ahlrenzarqueza

Same thing happening here since yesterday. The only thing I did was install a new AppleTV with my Apple ID, then I started getting those notifications afterwards. They are coming into my MacBook Pro quite frequently now.

Sounds to me to be more of an Apple-related glitch than anything else - there are many of us getting the same.

More info: I use a non .icloud/.me/.Mac email account as the Apple ID (a gmail account). I'm posting this in case there is a commonality in the type of ID used (Apple vs Non-Apple or Gmail-related).

Kept receiving "A password reset request was sent from a device at the location shown below'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.