Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer-to-computer FaceTime calls

I set up FaceTime on my MacBook Pro. It works fine with my son. We both have iPhones, but can pick up calls on our laptops too. My friend got a new iMac and I helped him set up FaceTime. He can call me. It rings on my iPhone and MacBook, and I can pick up on either. But I can't initiate a FaceTime call to him using his email address. He doesn't have an iPhone. My son (a software developer) tried it using my friend's cell phone too. Neither email or cell phone worked. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 6:41 PM

Hello,

The only thing I can think of would be the "You can be reached for FaceTime at" section of FaceTime preferences.

Sign in to or out of FaceTime on Mac - Apple Support

"Choose FaceTime > Preferences, click Settings, then do any of the following:

I hope this helps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2022 6:41 PM in response to ChrisF1949

Hello,

The only thing I can think of would be the "You can be reached for FaceTime at" section of FaceTime preferences.

Sign in to or out of FaceTime on Mac - Apple Support

"Choose FaceTime > Preferences, click Settings, then do any of the following:

I hope this helps.

Jun 11, 2022 11:31 AM in response to ChrisF1949

I can receive calls. And I can initiate them to my son. But not to my friend.

So I had him try this. Still didn't work.

We tried some of the things I got from the linked articles too. Still no joy.

I even tried "upgrading" to Monterey so we'd be using the same OS. Now having a raft of problems because of the "upgrade," but it didn't solve the FaceTime issue. Any other ideas? Thanks, Chris

Computer-to-computer FaceTime calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.