Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airpods connect but won’t become output of sound

my airpods were working fine all day until then later when i used them again, they were connected and did the sound that demonstrates that it’s connected to your phone, but when i went to sound outputs of my iphone, i kept pressing my airpods and it refused to become output of sound. i already disconnected and forgot device and reconnected my airpods but it doesn’t seem to work. i saw a similar issue that was resolved by the community on mac but no solution for when this happens on iphone. any idea how to fix this?

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 7:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 1:55 PM

Hey halloweeninkyoto,

We can help with that. If your AirPods aren't able to be chosen as an audio output source, disconnecting, forgetting, and setting back up again is a great first step to take.

To clarify, are you also using your AirPods with another device? If so, perhaps try unpairing from it, and then resetting your AirPods and testing things out further.

To do so, complete these steps:

1. "Put your AirPods in their charging case, and close the lid.
  2. Wait 30 seconds.
  3. Open the lid of your charging case.
  4. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Bluetooth and tap the More Info button  next to your AirPods. (If you don't see your AirPods in Settings > Bluetooth, just go to the next step.)
  5. Tap Forget This Device, and tap again to confirm.
  6. With the lid open, press and hold the setup button on the back of the case for about 15 seconds, until the status light flashes amber, then white.*
  7. AirPods charging cases
  8. Reconnect your AirPods: With your AirPods in their charging case and the lid open, place your AirPods close to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Follow the steps on your device's screen.

AirPods can be associated with one Apple ID. If you want to use AirPods (3rd generation) or AirPods Pro that someone else has used, they first need to remove the AirPods from their Apple ID."

All this information and more is available here: How to reset your AirPods and AirPods Pro

We hope this information helps out.

Take care!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 9, 2022 1:55 PM in response to halloweeninkyoto

Hey halloweeninkyoto,

We can help with that. If your AirPods aren't able to be chosen as an audio output source, disconnecting, forgetting, and setting back up again is a great first step to take.

To clarify, are you also using your AirPods with another device? If so, perhaps try unpairing from it, and then resetting your AirPods and testing things out further.

To do so, complete these steps:

1. "Put your AirPods in their charging case, and close the lid.
  2. Wait 30 seconds.
  3. Open the lid of your charging case.
  4. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Bluetooth and tap the More Info button  next to your AirPods. (If you don't see your AirPods in Settings > Bluetooth, just go to the next step.)
  5. Tap Forget This Device, and tap again to confirm.
  6. With the lid open, press and hold the setup button on the back of the case for about 15 seconds, until the status light flashes amber, then white.*
  7. AirPods charging cases
  8. Reconnect your AirPods: With your AirPods in their charging case and the lid open, place your AirPods close to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Follow the steps on your device's screen.

AirPods can be associated with one Apple ID. If you want to use AirPods (3rd generation) or AirPods Pro that someone else has used, they first need to remove the AirPods from their Apple ID."

All this information and more is available here: How to reset your AirPods and AirPods Pro

We hope this information helps out.

Take care!

airpods connect but won’t become output of sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.