Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer a photo from my iMac to my iPhone

I wish to transfer a photo FROM my iMac TO my iPhone (the existing answers are all about transferring the other way round).

I presume I would start by linking the two with a USB cable but, when I do the iPhone doesn't appear on the iMac desktop to allow a simple 'drag and drop' procedure, neither can I see the iPhone anywhere.

Would someone please help.

Thanks.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 9:59 AM

There's a few ways to do that.

You can either Airdrop it: link-> Use AirDrop on your Mac to send files to devices near you - Apple Support

You can email it.

You can use iCloud Photos: link-> Set up iCloud Photos on all your devices - Apple Support

Or you can sync it with iTunes: link-> Sync content between your Mac and iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

You cannot simply drag and drop pictures to the iPhone like it was a USB drive. It doesn't work that way.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2022 9:59 AM in response to makey

There's a few ways to do that.

You can either Airdrop it: link-> Use AirDrop on your Mac to send files to devices near you - Apple Support

You can email it.

You can use iCloud Photos: link-> Set up iCloud Photos on all your devices - Apple Support

Or you can sync it with iTunes: link-> Sync content between your Mac and iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

You cannot simply drag and drop pictures to the iPhone like it was a USB drive. It doesn't work that way.

Jun 13, 2022 5:16 AM in response to tbirdvet

I've done this according to you instruction, but I'm obviously doing it wrong. I try to drag the item into it but it won't go in, the attached screenshots show where the problem is (i.e it says in image 1 "locked" and "share") which might be the problem. Why can't I do either of these operations? I just can't see how to get the photo into it (it's a JPEG - should it be a different format?

(above) Airdrop info. "Locked"

(below) The toolbar options are all greyed out! And I can't drag the photo into the airdrop screen! Something is wrong here?

Jun 11, 2022 6:56 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you to all who replied to my problem with suggestions on how to do it. I think my problem might be that my iPhone is too old, an iPhone SE which is way down the list from the latest i11.

Which ever option I choose the iPhone just isn't recognised, so I can't locate it anywhere. I can't/don't want to upgrade it because I can't afford the price and the later ones are too big to fit into my shirt breast pocket (I like the one I've got). My iMac is using macOS Mojavi.

Does this mean I can't do the transfer, or is there a (simple) 'workaround' that I can use?

Thank you.

How do I transfer a photo from my iMac to my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.