Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden iPad Pro 11" (3rd gen) hairline crack - Search for root cause: manufacturing issue or intensive use with Apple Pencil?

Hello all,

since yesterday my iPad Pro 11" (3rd gen) suddenly shows a quite curved hairline crack over the whole display. Please find a photo attached.

This sudden hairline crack surprised me as the iPad Pro 11" (3rd gen) was never dropped or badly treated.

However, the iPad Pro 11" is used almost exclusively and intensively with an Apple Pencil.

Could the intensive use of the Apple Pencil with the iPad Pro 11" have caused such a sudden hairline crack? All my existing and current iPads that were not used with an Apple Pencil have never had such a hairline crack.

Thank you.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 7:37 AM

Get expert service and support at the Genius Bar.

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 13, 2022 7:44 AM in response to lowlevelmission

It is notoriously difficult to attribute the cause of a display crack. If within your warranty period, or if you have benefit of an active AppleCare+ plan, you would be advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where you iPad can be assessed and you can explore your available options for repair.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Be under no illusion as to your likelihood of the screen damage being covered by warranty. However, if you have benefit of AppleCare+, you are likely to be offered an exchange for a reconditioned iPad of the same model and specification - for which there will be a small excess/deductible fee.

A chargeable repair is usually charged at c.60% if the “as new” cost of the iPad.

iPad Repair - Official Apple Support

Sudden iPad Pro 11" (3rd gen) hairline crack - Search for root cause: manufacturing issue or intensive use with Apple Pencil?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.