Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro not charging issue

I’ve got an iPad Pro 2018 3rd gen that has worked fine (mostly) for 3 years-then almost to the day-it started “not charging@, did a “reset” without losing data-started working again, then last night it decided to not charge again -long story -but it got stuck in a reboot loop-got a new usb-c power cable -so far the reboot loop has stopped and it appears to be charging -battery graphic with thin red line -I’ll wait (and see what happens) but just in case I have an appointment at Apple with a “genius” and I can only hope they are.

my question is-If it’s the battery-do they replace batteries? Or send it away to be fixed? What happens? Other iPads I’ve always managed (mostly) to fix reboot loops etc myself -but so far -this one Is out of my league. Will update for ppl in a similar predicament so ppl know how Apple endeavoured to fix the issue.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 2:06 AM

Step one - before doing anything else and while it is still possible to do so - ensure that you have an up-to-date iCloud or iTunes backup of your data. If your iPad should fail, any opportunity to create or update your backup will have been lost.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you value your data, a backup will be essential; whatever remedy is ultimately available, data on your existing iPad will be lost during the process…

As described, your iPad battery is exhibiting symptoms or reaching the end of its usable life. The iPad battery can be changed - although Apple will often offer an exchange for a reconditioned iPad of the same model and specification in lieu of actually changing the battery within your iPad. This rapid-exchange programme avoids a protracted period of being without your iPad, the exchange device being yours to keep.

Assuming your own iPad is otherwise undamaged and in good condition, the exchange will cost the same to you as an actual battery change - this typically being $99 USD+tax or local currency equivalent. Once exchanged, you can simply restore your backup to the iPad.

If instead you visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP), you may have the option of an exchange - or the iPad battery may be changed and the iPad returned to you. If the battery is changed, all locally stored data will be lost from the iPad. Either way, your data will need to be restored from your backup.

A further alternative is to mail-in your iPad. Whether or not your iPad is exchanged, or the existing battery is replaced, will vary by region and availability. Whatever iPad is returned to you will have been wiped.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad Repair - Official Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2022 2:06 AM in response to Pandoraspocks

Step one - before doing anything else and while it is still possible to do so - ensure that you have an up-to-date iCloud or iTunes backup of your data. If your iPad should fail, any opportunity to create or update your backup will have been lost.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you value your data, a backup will be essential; whatever remedy is ultimately available, data on your existing iPad will be lost during the process…

As described, your iPad battery is exhibiting symptoms or reaching the end of its usable life. The iPad battery can be changed - although Apple will often offer an exchange for a reconditioned iPad of the same model and specification in lieu of actually changing the battery within your iPad. This rapid-exchange programme avoids a protracted period of being without your iPad, the exchange device being yours to keep.

Assuming your own iPad is otherwise undamaged and in good condition, the exchange will cost the same to you as an actual battery change - this typically being $99 USD+tax or local currency equivalent. Once exchanged, you can simply restore your backup to the iPad.

If instead you visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP), you may have the option of an exchange - or the iPad battery may be changed and the iPad returned to you. If the battery is changed, all locally stored data will be lost from the iPad. Either way, your data will need to be restored from your backup.

A further alternative is to mail-in your iPad. Whether or not your iPad is exchanged, or the existing battery is replaced, will vary by region and availability. Whatever iPad is returned to you will have been wiped.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Jun 14, 2022 11:51 PM in response to Pandoraspocks

Visiting an Apple Store with your iPad provides opportunity for the iPad to be tested and assessed by the technicians before committing to a non cost-effective repair.

If the issue is more serious than a failed battery, then an out-of-warranty repair will be much more expensive- typically c.60% of the “as new” cost of the iPad. Actual cost for your region should be outlined here:

Jun 14, 2022 9:03 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thankyou so much for your response. I genuinely appreciate that. do have my iPad backed up -very recently-the same morning that it decided to stop charging actually.

The iPad is still in perfect condition as far as the screen/metal back and buttons go. I have only ever used it in a case/with a glass screen protector so no problem there.

I’m in Australia so I’m really hoping what you said is correct about what Apple will do tomorrow. $USD99 is currently $AUD137-and I’ll be really happy if that’s what they do to fix the problem. Have unfortunately heard horror stories about IPads being offered for $600 plus -but not completely sure if the batttery was the exact problem in those cases -or even how accurate they are.

This is the iPad just out of the case-front and back (the screen just shows the ceiling reflection) so I think that should qualify as still being in good condition.

I’ll update with the outcome in case anyone else is in a similar position.

Jun 17, 2022 4:11 AM in response to LotusPilot

It was they felt more than just a battery problem- $AUD979 later and I have to wait “2-:3 weeks for a reconditioned iPad -same model. Heartbreaking but I use one so often, so we decided to pay it. Apparently reconditioned means different things to different ppl-but I’m happy with the way it was explained to me-and very much hope that it comes in a box with cable and charger etc -exactly like a new one would.

iPad Pro not charging issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.